Author Topic: Ex: Bird class patrol vessels  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Ex: Bird class patrol vessels
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Can anyone remember what ex: Bird class patrol vessels were laid up on the River Itchen at Southampton.
Attached image taken on the 9th September 1996

Cheers

Bob

Offline jackthegunner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ex: Bird class patrol vessels
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:17:28 PM »
Could be Kingfisher and Sandpiper the others were Peterel and Cygnet.  But the Navy also had a couple of Ex RAF Vessels (Seal Class) that were near identical to the RN Bird Class. 

Offline jackthegunner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:29:31 PM »
Upon investigation the Inboard ship is the REDPOLE an Ex RAF Seal Class and the outboard is one of the Modified RN Bird Class after finishing Northern Ireland Patrols with their Dk Grey Paint Scheme. They were sold to private individuals one of whom attempted to use a vessel as a Drugs Runner and was Captured. Cant remember what happened to the Ship and what Ship it was - Sorry.

Offline jackthegunner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »
Thanks Jack for identification of the Redpole, Kingfisher or Cygnet appear to have open bridge at the top whereas Peterel is enclosed so maybe her on the outside.

I saw the Badtz Maru (ex: Redpole) in Baltimore in 2002.

ShipSpotting.com

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:15:19 AM by Robert J Smith »

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
Hi Robert,
I used to visit Southampton regularly in the 1990s.  Checking through my records the only patrol boats I recorded in the Itchen were 'P513' and 'P514', (Jan 1996) which I have no further details.  Not sure if this helps.  These numbers seem well outside the range of those used by the RN at that time.  They could have been the two that I saw in Antwerp a few years ago.

Best regards

Tom

Offline ALAN

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
According to my records the two KINGFISHER Class ships that were at Southampton were the KINGFISHER and CYGNET.  They were both towed from Portsmouth on 28 Feb 96 to Southampton.  KINGFISHER was later sold, (date unknown) and renamed KINGFISHER OF SPARTA and was again renamed (date unknown) SANTA ELENA.  CYGNET was sold in 1997 and renamed DUANA S and was reported as being used by a drugs cartel.  This ship was seized by the Moroccan Navy and renamed LEXIS.

Also REDPOLE (Ex RAFAV SEA OTTER) was towed from Portsmouth to Southampton on 28 Feb 96.  This was sold in 2000 and renamed BADTZMARU, later renamed RV LIBERTY and in 2012 was renamed SEAMAN GUARD VIRGINIA.

The other two of the KINGFISHER class, PETEREL and SANDPIPER, were sold to C. and H. Heuvelman B.V. (Netherlands) in 1991 and both sailed under their own power from Portsmouth on 19 Apr 91 and 25 Apr 1991 respectively.

I hope the above is useful to you.

Best regards,

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk