Author Topic: Scanner recommendations  (Read 2076 times)

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Scanner recommendations
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »
Good morning,

I wonder whether anyone could recommend a good slide, negative and print scanner please?

I've seen some reviews online, but gaining the first-hand knowledge of someone who uses them would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Offline mikedavies43

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Scanner recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
I use a Canon CanoScan 9000F which I have had for at least 5 years - it is flatbed, and has guides for 4 no. mounted 35mm slides or 2 no. strips of up to 6 35mm negatives (or unmounted slides). You can see the results if you look at my photos on this site.

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Can also recommend the Epson V550 Perfection.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
I had a Canon 8800F , superseded by Canon 9000F Mk I and Mk II.  As the 8800F drivers were not upgraded to Windows 10 I looked around for a replacement. Online comparisons pointed towards Epson V550 which I purchased. However the results are not as good as the "old" Canon. Personal opinion .. with the 9000F being two versions later I would expect it to be better than the 8800F and thus better than the Epson.
In fact I'm going to swap the old Canon back into use (glad I kept it ) as the Canon scanning software has been kindly upgraded for free by Silverfast.

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
Hi,

I use an Epson Perfection flat bed scanner for slides, i can not remember the number of the scanner as i am still stranded.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »
I use an OPTIC 7600i scanner which can only deal with 35 mm slides and film. This scanner works perfectly in combination with the Silverfast software.  My Canon printer has a flatbed scanner, but as I have organised all my negatives in good order, I do not need to scan my own prints, but I used the scanner for prints that I bought (ages ago), which of course can not be posted here.  

However, the scanner is not everything, you will always find, as most people here will have experienced, unexpected scratches, blemishes and dust on your scan, and you will also most of the time have to work on the lighting and other deficiencies resulting from old age of the scanned material. Make sure you have good software to do that, and the real good software is not available in the public domain, but need to be bought.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:45:59 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline Axel Huettemann

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
Vuescan is a good scanning software I can recommend for slides and films. Anyway it's always a matter of your original material you used. You can get very expensive purpose built slide/film scanners with multi-pass and their patented image improvement function but unless your material is not satisfactory, you cannot get crisp images of it.
Cheers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk