Author Topic: Re: Members suggestions: Photocomments  (Read 4128 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Members suggestions: Photocomments
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:38:02 AM »
How about a Photo of the Year category or competition?

I wouldn't make a hobby into a competition. We already have "number of views" which brings the photo to the front page and "most viewed in 24 hrs/ year etc"

Fully agree, the more so as "most viewed" is greatly dependent on the initial comments on the main page. I would actually want to go one step further and disallow comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" (many times posted with photos of friends and reciprocated) without any further substantiation on what the commentator is basing his opinion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:19:51 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline L Brown

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »
How about a Photo of the Year category or competition?

I wouldn't make a hobby into a competition. We already have "number of views" which brings the photo to the front page and "most viewed in 24 hrs/ year etc"

Fully agree, the more so as "most viewed" is greatly dependent on the initial comments on the main page. I would actually want to go one step further and disallow comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" (many times posted with photos of friends and reciprocated) without any further substantiation on what the commentator is basing his opinion.

I agree, the stupid comments like 'great shot' 'fantastic' provide no interest to many, why not have a minimum of lets say 50 characters to post a comment ? This morning I logged on at 7am (British time) and there was 9 single or double worded comments by the same member Denis, so I missed all the constructive comments previous to this.

Just my thoughts,

L. Brown.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Denis, you are free to have (and express) your own opinion whether a picture is good or whatever qualification you would like to give it, but is it so difficult to provide at least one reason WHY you think a photo is good? (and preferably not because it has been posted by your friend)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
I would agree with Pieter Melissen's assertion that banal comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" - and then the "thank you for your comment" replies should be removed. They are a waste of space in the Comments Box and really interesting and informative comments about the ships disappear in a trice and may never be noted by the casual browser. I'd prefer the Comments box to used for discussion about the ship, not the photograph.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:43:43 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:20 PM »
I would agree with Pieter Melissen's assertion that banal comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" - and then the "thank you for your comment" replies should be removed. They are a waste of space in the Comments Box and really interesting and informative comments about the ships disappear in a trice and may never be noted by the casual browser. I'd prefer the Comments box to used for discussion about the ship, not the photograph.

This sums up the issue here. Is the site a shipping site, or a photography site?????? I think we all know the answer to that. Assuming that it is a shipping site, then comments should be restricted to comments about the ship. However I would be relaxed about comments about the quality of the photograph being contained within the overall comments about the ship. The difficulty would be policing this, it would be an extra admin job, that would have to be done in real time, as comments are added. One partial solution to this might be to block persistent offenders from making comments.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
Why shouldn
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:03:38 PM by Robert J Smith »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:22:09 PM »
"Great Shot" is not a stupid comment, it is IMHO an incomplete comment.

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »
The latest photo comments list is only limited to the latest 20 and every new one is added the first one (the one at the bottom ) is erased.I don't know if there is a way to see these erased ones, if not , how about introducing way to see the erased ones ,say the last 50 or any convenient number?
Some interesting worthwhile comments are being erased ones the inane ones like "good shot"  or "great photo" etc are posted.
regards to all
Keep healthy, keep positive
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
I have split this topic off as it gas generated wider discussion.
Firstly it is already on the list of proposed improvments to have a separate page linked from the front page comments to enable members too see more than just the last couple of dozen - my view would be a minimum of 24 hours, but could be longer.

The length may depend on whether it is feasible, as also been suggested, to have a thumbnail of the photo in question beside the opening lines of the comment itself - this will help members choose which comments to open.

The suggestion to improve accessibility by including comments in a broader "search site" facility is also noted.

So far as the content of photo comments is concerned, I do not favour any additional Admin editorial function, beyond dealing with inappropriate posts under the Code of Conduct.  Beyond that I do not think it appropriate for there to be any suggestion of censorship beyond that.  

Offline ftakma

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • www.nauticagoods.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 02:02:32 AM »
Let

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 02:35:45 AM »
I fully agree with ftakma1 comment, this is a site for exchanging our photos, it is not a shipping or naval engineering site.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 07:32:35 AM »
I fully agree with ftakma1 comment, this is a site for exchanging our photos, it is not a shipping or naval engineering site.

Regards

Tomi.

It is a site for exchanging our shipping photos and photos tend to tell a story. Sometimes the story will benefit from additional details. That's why I like to see additional comments containing information. Personally if one of my shots gets a comment such as "great shot" I don't know what to do with it, because the reason why it is considered great is not given. If I give a comment like great shot I will add the reason why I think it is  "great" I will tell the poster why I gave that opinion, which at the same time might be interesting for other viewers who may have looked at the same picture with different eyes. Also a technically poor shot can be great if it shows something that has not been shown on the site before, or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

So in short it is absolutely not forbidden to find a shot great, but just add "BECAUSE"

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
As much as I enjoy the photos, I think that if this site became purely a photographic competition (as sometimes it already seems to be), I would be off to seek pastures new. My enthusiasm is for ships, shipping and marine engineering. Not photography.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:18:45 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
My enthusiasm is for ships, shipping and marine engineering. Not photography.

I combine the two...

Clydee

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »
My principal pleasure is not photography, my camera is always set to Auto and I use unsupported Picasa to crop straighten and enhance

I am not very knowledgeable about ships

But I do enjoy the Comments and conversations between members.  And the number of pics from Vlad Lappino and others.  And the world wide range of locations where our members live.

All of the this demonstrates the remarkable design and value of the site which has a combination of the features of Marine Traffic and Facebook.

During this period of Convid19 lockdown it is good to see the number of images from members archives
that are adding to the depth and range of ships recorded.

Stay safe!
Clyde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk