ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Members suggestions: Photocomments  (Read 1677 times)
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:38:02 am »

How about a Photo of the Year category or competition?

I wouldn't make a hobby into a competition. We already have "number of views" which brings the photo to the front page and "most viewed in 24 hrs/ year etc"

Fully agree, the more so as "most viewed" is greatly dependent on the initial comments on the main page. I would actually want to go one step further and disallow comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" (many times posted with photos of friends and reciprocated) without any further substantiation on what the commentator is basing his opinion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:19:51 am by pieter melissen » Report to moderator   Logged
L Brown
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:42:16 pm »

How about a Photo of the Year category or competition?

I wouldn't make a hobby into a competition. We already have "number of views" which brings the photo to the front page and "most viewed in 24 hrs/ year etc"

Fully agree, the more so as "most viewed" is greatly dependent on the initial comments on the main page. I would actually want to go one step further and disallow comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" (many times posted with photos of friends and reciprocated) without any further substantiation on what the commentator is basing his opinion.

I agree, the stupid comments like 'great shot' 'fantastic' provide no interest to many, why not have a minimum of lets say 50 characters to post a comment ? This morning I logged on at 7am (British time) and there was 9 single or double worded comments by the same member Denis, so I missed all the constructive comments previous to this.

Just my thoughts,

L. Brown.
Report to moderator   Logged
Dеnis
Photo Administrator
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 09:16:36 pm »

I agree, the stupid comments like 'great shot' 'fantastic' provide no interest to many, why not have a minimum of lets say 50 characters to post a comment ? This morning I logged on at 7am (British time) and there was 9 single or double worded comments by the same member Denis, so I missed all the constructive comments previous to this.

If there will be a characters' minimum limit then I will be commenting like:

WOW! What a great shot you made! A REALLY outstanding photo! Makes me absolutely speechless regarding of what I see on my monitor right in front of me at this beautiful morning (or calm evening, depending at when I'm typing it). I really can't resist liking & especially bookmarking this incredible photo to my awesome collection of the most incredible photos Shipspotting.com has to offer to this day. There! Now this marvel of a photo has joined my lovely collection & I am very pleased that this my lovely collection of ship photos grows with time & it always a pleasure to go through it & re-discover some of the finest gems I have seen on here & have that pleasant feeling by looking at each as if it's the first time I'm seeing either of them. Once again, I'm very happy you took effort to take this absolutely amazing photo that I'm sure you're very pleased with & especially that you decided to share your joy with the rest of the ship loving enthusiasts that I myself am proud of to be on this site!  Once again thank you very very very VERY MUCH for this beauty of a shot & an utter perfection of a photo - well done at making another ship lover feeling happy on this fine day!
The kindest regards of all tim

Warning: characters limit exceeded!

Though if serious, I don't care at "quality" of my comments. I browse daily uploads, I pick interesting photos, I view them, I view some in full size, I add them to my collection by bookmarking & click on Like (cause, why won't I?) & when it's still not enough, I comment... Good/Awesome/Nice/Great/Perfect/Amazing/Awesome/Beautiful/etc (photo/shot/capture) & I put an exclamation mark at the end of it to indicate that I really meant it! It's my seal of approval. Anyone with uploaded photos on here who would go to My Photos -> Comments to my photos & see a recent comment like "Good/Awesome/Nice/Great/Perfect/Amazing/Awesome/Beautiful/etc (photo/shot/capture)!" by no other than me, Denis, will know that at least ONE shipspotting.com member REALLY likes this photo, compared to other members who either didn't see this photo or saw but did nothing than moving on to next photo.
Also, when I comment & my comment is seen on Home Page (without a photo visible unless you click on my comment) you can be sure Denis just found another worth-looking photo, so without any photo-finding effort of your own, you click on my comment AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND... you weren't disappointed!  Besides, your click just gave the photo a one more view! And view after view there's a high chance a really worth-looking-at photo would win the "Top Photo of the Day" contest.  Awesome isn't it?
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 08:30:32 am »

Denis, you are free to have (and express) your own opinion whether a picture is good or whatever qualification you would like to give it, but is it so difficult to provide at least one reason WHY you think a photo is good? (and preferably not because it has been posted by your friend)
Bob Scott
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:57 am »

I would agree with Pieter Melissen's assertion that banal comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" - and then the "thank you for your comment" replies should be removed. They are a waste of space in the Comments Box and really interesting and informative comments about the ships disappear in a trice and may never be noted by the casual browser. I'd prefer the Comments box to used for discussion about the ship, not the photograph.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:43:43 am by Bob Scott » Report to moderator   Logged
simonwp
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:20 pm »

I would agree with Pieter Melissen's assertion that banal comments like "Great Shot" and  "big like" - and then the "thank you for your comment" replies should be removed. They are a waste of space in the Comments Box and really interesting and informative comments about the ships disappear in a trice and may never be noted by the casual browser. I'd prefer the Comments box to used for discussion about the ship, not the photograph.

This sums up the issue here. Is the site a shipping site, or a photography site?Huh?? I think we all know the answer to that. Assuming that it is a shipping site, then comments should be restricted to comments about the ship. However I would be relaxed about comments about the quality of the photograph being contained within the overall comments about the ship. The difficulty would be policing this, it would be an extra admin job, that would have to be done in real time, as comments are added. One partial solution to this might be to block persistent offenders from making comments.
Robert J Smith
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:30 pm »

Why shouldn’t a member be allowed to comment “great shot”, that’s the fun of this site?
And why is it allowed to point a finger at a member, a long standing member who clearly enjoys and appreciated the photos being posted saying he posts “stupid comments”, what about the “code of conduct”. Totally out of order!
I made a suggestion on page 2 of this topic that could allow all comments for the past 24/48 hours available to all members.

Regards

Bob

Let get back on topic
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:03:38 pm by Robert J Smith » Report to moderator   Logged
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 03:22:09 pm »

"Great Shot" is not a stupid comment, it is IMHO an incomplete comment.
Emmanuel.L
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »

The latest photo comments list is only limited to the latest 20 and every new one is added the first one (the one at the bottom ) is erased.I don't know if there is a way to see these erased ones, if not , how about introducing way to see the erased ones ,say the last 50 or any convenient number?
Some interesting worthwhile comments are being erased ones the inane ones like "good shot"  or "great photo" etc are posted.
regards to all
Keep healthy, keep positive
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 05:20:20 pm »

I have split this topic off as it gas generated wider discussion.
Firstly it is already on the list of proposed improvments to have a separate page linked from the front page comments to enable members too see more than just the last couple of dozen - my view would be a minimum of 24 hours, but could be longer.

The length may depend on whether it is feasible, as also been suggested, to have a thumbnail of the photo in question beside the opening lines of the comment itself - this will help members choose which comments to open.

The suggestion to improve accessibility by including comments in a broader "search site" facility is also noted.

So far as the content of photo comments is concerned, I do not favour any additional Admin editorial function, beyond dealing with inappropriate posts under the Code of Conduct.  Beyond that I do not think it appropriate for there to be any suggestion of censorship beyond that.  

Dеnis
Photo Administrator
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 09:23:40 pm »

Suggestions:

When composing a photo comment:
A set of standard tools available: Bold/Italicized/Underlined, Hyperlink, Emojis.
After typing & before publishing, author must select what type of comment he is about to post: compliment / technical content (ship info, explanation, etc) / historical content / question / other. Maybe also a some antispam check, perhaps? Then he can click on "Post" & whether he clicked on it once or twice or more - the comment is posted once (compared to how it's currently).  There will be a some label/mark/indicator near it depending on what was selected before, so other members who would go through comments could easily see the stuff they are interested & ignore comments they're not interested, without wasting time on reading what each is about.
Also comments will be placed not one after another but each comment will have a "Reply" under it, clicking on which will make new comment be right under the one to which the reply is addressed - it will be positioned slightly off to indicate it's a reply. Further replies to that reply or to initial comment will just go one after another - all as a column that's slightly off compared to initial comment or independent comments.  Maybe "Hide/Show replies" button be under the initial comment & will do what is says.  Also an option that would show comments+replies as above or in chronological order (in which all comments & replies will be as one column without any placed off).

Full view of recent photocomments to be in a separate window or site module, it will show all comments in chronological order, similar to if you click on "View the most recent posts on the forum." - there will be a small photo thumbnail on the left with ship name/IMO & date of when photo was uploaded. On the right there will be date/time & author of the comment with his comment below.  Maybe the comment will have a some visibility length, so very long comments won't be fully shown but have "Show more" button under the content.  And don't forget the "type of comment" indicator be visible so the viewer could quickly ignore ones & see stuff he better likes reading.  Besides, a viewer could select which "type of comment" to be ignored. For example, he doesn't like scrolling through "Compliment" (which of course will have a "Great shot!" kind of comments) kind of comments, so he marks that as Ignore & he won't see these comments in the list of recent comments.  Well, this is too personal kind of preferences, maybe not even needed.
Should this be as recent comments within the last 24h or it could be up to a week or month?  In either case, older comments eventually disappear & this brings the issue of how to extract a certain comment by yourself or someone from a longer time earlier.
Let's say the list could be as "Recent comments of the last 24h" (depending on viewer's timezone) by default, but if it's possible then maybe it could be expanded to week or month.  Comments that are off the range will disappear from it. However there's a function "Search Photocomments" - you could search by keyword(s) or you could also input author's ID (username or register number) in "Comment by". Clicking on "Search", the system will go through the whole photo database & will show results - whether the comment is made recently or more than a decade ago.

Something like that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:29:57 pm by Dеnis » Report to moderator   Logged
ftakma1
Just popping in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 02:02:32 am »

Let’s ask ourselves the only question?
Why are we here in this platform?
For our hobby, for fun or for earning money?
If we are in this platform, our main goal is to share our hobby and appreciate others.
If so, why are we making a big deal? If anyone express his or her feelings by writing “great picture”, what is the big deal?
As long as people appreciate each other, we should RESPECT!
This platform is for everyone

Tomislav Raymondi
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 02:35:45 am »

I fully agree with ftakma1 comment, this is a site for exchanging our photos, it is not a shipping or naval engineering site.

Regards

Tomi.
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 07:32:35 am »

I fully agree with ftakma1 comment, this is a site for exchanging our photos, it is not a shipping or naval engineering site.

Regards

Tomi.

It is a site for exchanging our shipping photos and photos tend to tell a story. Sometimes the story will benefit from additional details. That's why I like to see additional comments containing information. Personally if one of my shots gets a comment such as "great shot" I don't know what to do with it, because the reason why it is considered great is not given. If I give a comment like great shot I will add the reason why I think it is  "great" I will tell the poster why I gave that opinion, which at the same time might be interesting for other viewers who may have looked at the same picture with different eyes. Also a technically poor shot can be great if it shows something that has not been shown on the site before, or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

So in short it is absolutely not forbidden to find a shot great, but just add "BECAUSE"
Bob Scott
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 08:56:22 am »

As much as I enjoy the photos, I think that if this site became purely a photographic competition (as sometimes it already seems to be), I would be off to seek pastures new. My enthusiasm is for ships, shipping and marine engineering. Not photography.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:18:45 am by Bob Scott » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: