Author Topic: Tracking Gone Haywire  (Read 1415 times)

Offline kelsien

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Tracking Gone Haywire
« on: April 22, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
Since Saturday the 8th of Feb the live tracking for movements to and from Goole and Howdendyke has gone completely haywire. Tracks are hours, sometimes over 24hrs old. The ships in port don't show or when they do they're 'greyed out' and don't show all the vessels actually in port. myloweslife Marine Traffic, Vesselfinder etc are all the same.
Is this sort of this something that happens or has anyone heard of why this might be. We only started ship spotting last year when we moved to Swinefleet on the Ouse. We have experienced glitches and confusing info before but nothing as bad as this.
Even the ABP reports of ships in port aren't accurate. This morning it shows one ship 'on passage' yet we know (or are as sure as we can be) it is in fact in port in Goole and has been since the 8th when we saw it pass our house inbound for Goole.
If this is a normal part of ship spotting OK, but we've never experienced such a completely confusing situation before.
Any help would be appreciated. I've sent an email request to Vesselfinder and Marine Traffic but so far have not had any reply.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:11:59 PM by kelsien »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Gone Haywire
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:50:26 AM »
AIS tracking is only as accurate as are those who provide the data to the sites you've mentioned. If those AIS receiving stations are off line, then the coverage will simply cease to exist.

Paid AIS services are significantly better, but even they are not 100% reliable.

In my part of the world, I am happy if I even get tracking with 24 hours delay... :)

Cheers

Vlad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk