Author Topic: Fram on Marine Traffic advice sought  (Read 1362 times)

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Fram on Marine Traffic advice sought
« on: April 20, 2020, 03:03:51 PM »
I have been watching the Hurtigruten fleet, on Marine Traffic, lately and noticed Fram arrived in Bergen a couple of days ago. Since then the Marine Traffic site seems to show her having left and returned on a number of occasions and when selecting "Past Track" there are a series of vectors shown , mainly, radiating outwards from Bergen. I have not noted this method of displaying past track before, normally it is what you may expect, a line showing the vessels movement across the surface of the sea with periodic marking points that show time, date and speed.
I was surprised to see all the departures and arrivals of a ship having been so long from her home port and having only returned from the South Atlantic to her home port.
If selecting "Vessel Details" and going down the page there is a "Vessel Timeline" graphic which shows the comings and goings in a different format and a quick comparison of both these ways of showing vessels movement do not seem to agree with each other.
Any advice from more experienced folk would be appreciated.

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
Re: Fram on Marine Traffic advice sought
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »
Hello John,
Marine Traffic is totally reliant on continuos internet connection.
Depending on where you are around the world those connections can be intermittent and may explain some of the things that you have noticed recently.
I was trying to track a reefer on Sunday morning due to leave her berth at 08-00hrs and got nothing live on her until nearly 2 hours after she left her berth, i only caught her by constantly looking out of the window in my apartment.
There are also a number of " ghost ships " on the site.

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Fram on Marine Traffic advice sought
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »
Hi Teachers, thanks for your input, which is appreciated.
I understand that free AIS is subject to delay and possibly inaccuracies and this is entirely understandable. Watching Fram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk