Author Topic: Resolute cruise ship attacked by navy  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile

Offline Pegpilot

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Resolute cruise ship attacked by navy
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Good grief. I think you really need to have a sense of humour if you're going to work on Resolute (until recently Hanseatic).  It should be remembered that her recent Antarctic season was cancelled following the collapse of her charterer, One Ocean Expeditions, and she has recently been held under arrest in Buenos Aires. And now this !

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »
Yes I am aware of her bad luck !

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »
From what I've heard;

The Resolute - on a repositioning voyage - was drifting off the coast carrying out repairs to one of her main engines, the other being kept at immediate readiness.

The Navy vessel approached, and ordered the resolute to alter course to an island in Venezuelan waters, presumably to be searched. Because this would be a significant deviation from the ships planned passage, and because the Resolute was in international waters at the time, the master telephoned the DPA to discuss the matter.

While on the phone to the DPA, the Venezuelan navy vessel apparently opened fire on the Resolute, before ramming her bow to (I guess) force the Resolute to change course towards Venezuela. The Navy vessel rubbed up against the Resolutes 1A super ice strengthened bulbous bow, which caused the Navy vessel to take on water, eventually sinking.

The Resolute offered assistance to the navy vessel, which didn't respond, then contacted the nearest MRCC. She was released by the MRCC after approximately an hour, to continue passage to Cura
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
Thanks Smithy, appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk