Author Topic: Photos on BalticShipping.com  (Read 2436 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Photos on BalticShipping.com
« on: March 14, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:59:51 AM »
I have found a couple of my photos on that site stolen from here.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 07:39:17 AM »
I have found a couple of my photos on that site stolen from here.

They use the photos and even do not bother to change the name of the file (in the case of Ship Spotting the unique number)

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »
Plenty of photos from many sources on balticshipping.com they don't ask they just take them for their site

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
Plenty of photos from many sources on balticshipping.com they don't ask they just take them for their site

Have they already been approached on this subject?

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
Not sure Pieter I have not approached them, I just post low resolution shots and expect them at times to be stolen or used without permission. Its happened so many times now its endemic

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Photos on BalticShipping.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Many years ago, when ShipSpotting.com was under previous ownership, an arrangement was made to allow other sites to host thumbnail images from here in order to "promote contributing photographers and increase traffic to the Website". When I was investigating a similar complaint about another Latvia-based site in 2018 (and which seems now to have closed) this came to light "hidden in plain view" in the Terms & Conditions that we signify our agreement with every time we upload a photo!
http://www.shipspotting.com/about/terms.php

For the record, BalticShipping are compliant with at least some of the original conditions, but it seems doubtful to me that ShipSpotting or its members are receiving any benefit.

At the time we tried to review this arrangement but had zero cooperation from IT.  I am more confident that we will be able to do so now, and in conjunction with the site owner.  There may be contractual or commercial reasons that may have to be taken into account.  I will follow up with the Admin Group and advise here when there is something that can be said in public (any member is welcome to make an input on the subject direct to me at [email protected] if they have useful knowledge or expertise on this)

If you are aware of other sites which appear to be currently operating on a similar basis, please post the links here so that we can also take them into account.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:25:51 PM by davidships »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Photos on BalticShipping.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Hmm, I think if I remember correctly that when I signed up for SS, I explicitly ticked a box stating that I would not give permission to use my shots for third party websites.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk