Author Topic: Ships' names in 'CAPITALS' or 'Title Case'?  (Read 6910 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Ships' names in 'CAPITALS' or 'Title Case'?
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:52:36 AM »
Unsurprisingly this has arisen afresh in the context of the website upgrade, and in particular whether, if there were agreement on one style, software could ease the change and future uploading.  That technical aspect is the only thing that makes it necessary to review this question now. 

In my experience, auto-alteration from lower to upper case can work, though when this site introduced it in c2014 it did not work well enough and was soon abandoned - mainly, I recall, over treatment of non-standard letters, which we no longer use, and punctuation (hyphens, apostrophes, full stops etc) as well as those categories which are not ship names (eg ports, funnel logos).  It does not usually work at all properly the other way around, because the software cannot identify where the capital initial letters should go. The grosstonnage-based vessel identification box under every photo uses this, producing logical abominations like "Cma Cgm L'etoile", "E.r.camargue", "Xxvii Syezd Kpss", "P&,osl Picardy".

Since 2014, each time it has been discussed it has just revealed a lack of willingness to accept a change to a common approach by one side or the other, even though that would look more professional and serious for the site.

For the record, the following is copied from yesterday's thread on Members' suggestions for improvement of the website
Pieter InpynSuggestions for improvement of the website:
1)   Conversion of all vessel names of all the posted photo

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Ships' names in 'CAPITALS' or 'Title Case'?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:06:32 AM »
In the title box I typically insert the ship name in either CAPITALS and/or Title Case, consistent with how it appears on the bow/stern of vessel. To add to Allan RO's comment, there are quite a few  upper/lower case examples "floating" around out there. i.e. Celebrity Cruise vessels/B.C. Ferries, etc., etc.....More examples below....

Regatta/Insigna
Celebrity ECLIPSE/SOLSTICE/SUMMIT
Bahri ABHA/JEDDAH/TABUK/YANBU
Queen of Cowichan / Oak Bay
Queen Mary 2

I've noticed from time to time, moderator(s) will change name from "title case" to all "capitals".
As indicated in one of David's comments, whether a name has capitals or not makes no difference to a name search. At the end of the day I prefer seeing a title that is consistent with how name appears on bow/stern  (foreign names/letters, etc.,the exception).

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Since the vast majority of ships have their names painted in capitals and the registers use capitals (regardless of how the name appears on the vessel, eg AIDAbella on the ship/AIDABELLA in the registers), it follows logically that using capitals for ship names should be the mandatory "house style" on this site.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:50:27 PM by Bob Scott »

emdee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »
Ships names in capitals is my preference.

jimmcquarrie

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
CHANGED ALL MY PICS TO CAPITALS

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:32:56 PM »
In my opinion, for a comprehensive site standard it can work out three ways, only one of which is straightforward.

1. All Caps: Easy, everything is converted.

2. Leading first letter capitalized, except acronyms and other various situations: Complex situations such as finally having to sort out whether this tug is a name or an acronym...
http://www.shipspotting.com/ships/ship.php?imo=5107982

3. By Appearance on Hull: Complex situations such as having to adjust for every yacht owner that thinks they're being funny by alternating caps and lower case, or representing the boat name with a symbol, etc...
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
All in capitals for me. We could have a poll, if the site allows for such things.

Offline canberra97

• Shiplover
  • Home away from home
  • Southampton Based Ship Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 08:17:23 AM »
I also use all capital letters when I'm using the ship's name, it's more uniformed and more appropriate. Judging by the the other posts I'm certainly not alone.
Cunard Line 1983/1987
British Channel Island Ferries,B.C.I.F. 1987/1993
Geest Line 1993/1993
P&O European Ferries 1993/1993
Stena Line 1993/1996
P&O Ferries 1997/2005
Intercruises 2006/2013
Carnival Port Ops 2014
Red Funnel Ferries 2015
Intercruises 2016/2017
European Cruise Service 2017-

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
I support all caps for consistency.

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »
I write the ships name in capitals when loading it onto the site, it just looks better in capitals full stop.

That said i can go through my photos and many many of them have been changed to lower case by admins, which i guess is done as a point of reference to say they've looked over that particular photo - but if the poster has taken the time to enter the photo name in capitals it really should stay like that for all eternity.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
I always use capitals in the titles but as Richard says above, some get changed to lower case for some reason, notice this the most in military ships.

Should be capitals.

Regards

Bob

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
All new entries will be in capitals and I will slowly get gound to changing existing entries
All the best in these stressjul times
Everybody keep well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk