Author Topic: Tracking Gone Haywire  (Read 2311 times)

Offline RedSchuhart

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Tracking Gone Haywire
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
Since Saturday the 8th of Feb the live tracking for movements to and from Goole and Howdendyke has gone completely haywire. Tracks are hours, sometimes over 24hrs old. The ships in port don't show or when they do they're 'greyed out' and don't show all the vessels actually in port. Marine Traffic, Vesselfinder etc are all the same.
Is this sort of this something that happens or has anyone heard of why this might be. We only started ship spotting last year when we moved to Swinefleet on the Ouse. We have experienced glitches and confusing info before but nothing as bad as this.
Even the ABP reports of ships in port aren't accurate. This morning it shows one ship 'on passage' yet we know (or are as sure as we can be) it is in fact in port in Goole and has been since the 8th when we saw it pass our house inbound for Goole.
If this is a normal part of ship spotting OK, but we've never experienced such a completely confusing situation before.
Any help would be appreciated. I've sent an email request to Vesselfinder and Marine Traffic but so far have not had any reply.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Gone Haywire
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
It maybe a transponder was knocked out by the weather.

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »
It's been poor upstream of Hull for a while now on MT, and yes the ABP lists sometimes get a bit messed up, but consider it a bonus to be able to get this information, it wasn't so long ago a lot of us enthusiasts just had to turn up on the river/dock and see what happened or was around :)

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
And above all, remember both are free ;)

Offline coasterwatcher

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
it wasn't so long ago a lot of us enthusiasts just had to turn up on the river/dock and see what happened or was around :)

Agreed. Genuine ship spotting rather than AIS spotting. Glory days (to quote Bruce Springsteen  :)

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »
Its exactly the same over here.
Some ships dissapear for days, some never show on radar, some are leaving the berth and dont show until they are underway then nothing for half an hour, when this happens i can calculate roughly what time they will arrive at my vantage point.
When i first discovered Marine Traffic i though it was mindblowing, it is certainly up and down at the moment but it has saved me many hours stood waiting around.
I think Patrick summed it up perfectly, and Simon has a good point.
I applied to Marine Traffic 3 months ago to install a receiver to improve the reliability but was told my area had sufficient coverage.
You could also pay a monthly subscription of nearly

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
The good and the not so good of Marine Traffic.
I was tracking a ship called the Mariwit at 05-30 this morning inward bound for Klong Toey, she passed my vantage point to early to photograph, there were a number of live positions shown on her way in but just before she arrived the live positions stopped and 13 hours later she is not even shown on her berth.

I was waiting for a geared bulk carrier called  Trump SW this morning, she cancelled, i dont have the latest ship schedule due to a cock up on the website so i was relying on Marine Traffic to try and catch this one, i had a look at 14-45hrs this afternoon and noticed a tug alongside her so i quickly left my condo and headed for Suksawat and  caught her just ten minutes after i arrived.

Nice one Marine Traffic.

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:19:56 AM »
Just to add to yesterdays comments, the ship i was tracking called the MARIWIT, suddenly became the, HAI ZHI XING 6, a 52 year old reefer, i thought i had missed.
I found some photos of her on shipspotting and noticed that her most recent name was MARIWIT.
Today Marine Traffic was bad, there were a number of vessels inward and only 2 of them showed live positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk