Author Topic: Ghost ships on Marine Traffic  (Read 6257 times)

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
Ghost ships on Marine Traffic
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:02:26 AM »
Can anyone explain.

Right now and almost everyday, there is a red echo indicating a tanker currently inward bound for Bangkok, ship name PATTHARA SAHATHAI 1, when you click on it it suddenly becomes the NORTHERN PEARL, a very large tanker of over 200 metres in length.

I can assure you have watched this image many times and even been standing by the river and there is absolutely nothing there, a ( ghost ship }.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost ships on Marine Traffic
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:29:27 AM »
Really weird how MarineTraffic has that as one of the former names of NORTHERN PEARL

I suppose that this is the only real one:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_title=PATHARA%20SAHATHAI%201

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »
The reason is probably an error in the initial registration of the MMSI number 567001859.
The MMSI is used for tracking vessels, not the IMO, ENI or name.
The first two digits 56 belong to Thailand, Samoa and Singapore.
Because MMSI started for sea-going vessels but is now also used for inland vessels, I suppose the inland Thai vessel PATHARA is the guilty one.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
Yes, MMSI 567--- is Thailand.
NORTHERN PEARL recently sold by Top Nautical Star Co Ltd, Bangkok (Nathalin Shipping Pte Ltd, Singapore) to Autumn Harvest Maritime Co Ltd (Jacinta Marine Corp), Lagos and renamed LOYALTY A under LIB flag
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5960965/mmsi:636019793/vessel:9187760
While under THA flag she was HSB6815/567001859:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5563932/mmsi:567001859/vessel:9187760

For PATHARA/PATTHARA SAHATHAI 1 it seems that until July 2018 it used HSB009/567999995
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:734438/mmsi:567999995/vessel:734438
but is now using HSB6815/567001859, which still links to the IMO 9187760 data

PATHARA or PATTHARA?  Different sites use one of the other - not found anything definitive, but one "T" on the front of the wheelhouse

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
David, may I take this opportunity also to question the correctness of Marine Traffic in general. When clicking the second link the Thai tanker "northern pearl" appears, represented by 8 pictures, of which four show her as Hellespont Tatina, her name before becoming "northern pearl" Yet all the pictures of HT are named Northern Pearl. Is there nobody in the MT staff that takes note of such anomalies?
Clicking on the first link the name Sunggai Linggai shows up, with no pictures of the ship at all. Are their photographs also linked to the MMSI number or the IMO number?

These name mix-ups are unfortunately a very regular feature of MT, and recently I am even getting  messages, "Ooohps, an error occurred, there is nothing to see here" Rather unprofessional I would say.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:52:46 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
Thanks all for your time and effort in trying to sort out what is really going on.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »
Pieter, I was momentarily confused also by the idea of a "Motor Yacht Sungai Linggi", but of course it is a voyage record from the Port of Sungai Linggi in MY (Malaysia). 

Yes, there is a lot of bad info on MT - and hundreds of photos attached to the wrong ships (some posted by our own members!).  We have many limitations and shortcomings on our site, but one great strength is the community input from members, knowledgable people who are interested in many aspects of shipping, whether as industry professionals or as amateur enthusiasts.  I think also that MT is managed differently, with most outputs being automated, so that errors (often in the inputs themselves) indeed persist and get magnified. That is spoken as a registered MT user, but not a subscribing member.

David

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »
Thanks DAvid, I have been lloking on MT for a possible contact point where to address my complaints. I could not find anything suitable. I would greatly hesitate to pay for their services,

Clydee

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 05:47:19 AM »
Hi Pieter

On the top right hand corner 0f the MT screen is a down arrow leading to a Help centre.

I have been there and obtained useful information

Clyde

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »
I clicked on the ghost ship yesterday and she became the LOYALTY A.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
I was having a drink in a Thames riverside pub recently. I looked in Marine Traffic to see if there were any ships about to pass and found that a large bulk carrier was sitting right on top on top of me. The pub was not damaged. It was one of these MT ghost ships.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
I once had a dutch river barge in the street behind me  :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »
Hi Pieter

On the top right hand corner 0f the MT screen is a down arrow leading to a Help centre.

I have been there and obtained useful information

Clyde

In the mean time I have been in contact with MT and they have reacted to my complaints about wrong names accompanying photos, and funny messages that you get when you click on a link found by Google. "Oohps something went wrong, nothing to seA here" They promised to try to rectify the system, but they are certainly not "history" oriented.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk