Author Topic: Photography locations: Cuxhaven and the Elbe  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Photography locations: Cuxhaven and the Elbe
« on: December 17, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of ship photography at Cuxhaven? Is it a good location (looks like the ships pass pretty close). If so, where exactly is best? The Kugelbake?
Also, can anyone suggest good locations further up the Elbe closer to Hamburg?
Thanks

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
Re: Photography locations: Cuxhaven and the Elbe
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:27:20 AM »
I've only been to Cuxhaven once, many years ago. We made our way to the Alte Liebe where I spent the whole day we had there.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
I stayed in a hotel at the inner harbour last year. Each day I drove to the area were the Elbe-ferry once was situated, called Steubenhoft at the Albert Ballin Platz. Free parking space and you have a good view on the vessels coming from sea and from Hamburg.  Close by is the old passenger terminal, now on level 2 (?) with a small restaurant, free museum and a free covered sitting area.
Across this quay is Alte Liebe, the wooden covered sitting area, also a good place to see the vessels passing but impossible to park your car (or very expensive). From this area also the harbour tour boats depart. The best in my opinion is the yellow STORTEBEKER: not so crowded and it goes also goes inside the industrial harbors.
I have never been to Kugelbake, seems a good spotting place as well, but parking seems difficult and far way from the water.
A nice day out was to the island Helgoland with the HELGOLAND: many vessels seen while underway.
Take a look first with Google Maps or Streetview.

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
Another excellent location is Otterndorf - a small town about 6 miles up-river from Cuxhaven. Free parking near the coast or take the train from Cuxhaven. There is a nice restaurant/cafe from where all shipping movements can be monitored, though you will need to walk down to river front to take pictures. Check out the video section of this website for lots of films taken from this location. Sun behind you for much of the day. A tranquil location. Good for walking or cycling.

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
Thanks Patrick and Pieter, very helpful. Albert Ballin Platz and Alte Liebe sound like good options. Thanks also Pieter for the boat trip suggestions. PietB - thanks re Otterndorf, will investigate.

Offline Ulf Kornfeld

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 01:42:42 PM »
My favorite spotting locations in Cuxhaven Arena also Steubenh

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
Excellent, many thanks Ulf

Offline staciquan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 12:18:15 PM »
There are so many amazing places on this planet, and they are really worth seeing. You definitely have to go to Cuxhaven because it's a fairytale landscape. Don't worry about the ships that pass pretty close. You need to be careful and shouldn't even stress. I even took some pictures at sunset there, and then I found picture frames online to customize them in the style of my house. So, I wholeheartedly recommend you to go close to the sunset, at the golden hour, because you will capture a view detached from reality.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:53:24 AM by staciquan »

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »
I've visited Cuxhaven countless times since my childhood ...

Here are my favourite Places (some were mentioned above) - not only for shipspotting:

1. Alte Liebe (wooden observation Deck) and Radarturm (radar tower) - you can also watch model ships on a pond there just a few meters away from the prototype ... and perhaps meet me and my ships ;-)

2. Steubenh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk