Author Topic: Stena Europe  (Read 2600 times)

Offline roconnor

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Stena Europe
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
I note veteran passenger ferry Stena Europe has returned to the Irish Sea after an extensive refit in Turkey. I don't know very much about the ferry business, but in in the merchant service, it would be very unusual to refit a bulker or container vessel that is getting on for 40 years old. In fact some 40-50000 tonne container vessels are going to the breakers after little more than 20 years.
Can anyone tell me,is there a shortage of ro-pax vessels to warrant a major refit at this advanced age?

Offline Niall Magner

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/njm05
Re: Stena Europe
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
She got a life extension refit to keep her on the Rosslare - Fisguard route for the next 10 years. The Fihguard route is a unique run in that it carries a lot of passengers but not a huge amount of freight. Most of the ferries nowadays are geared towards freight, hence the lack of suitable newer tonnage for the route.

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
She is moored at Liverpool at this moment I presume more work to be done before she leaves for Fishguard after her stay in Turkey.

Ian Thomas
Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

Offline roconnor

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
She is moored at Liverpool at this moment I presume more work to be done before she leaves for Fishguard after her stay in Turkey.

Ian Thomas

Thanks for the reply,I'm based in Liverpool and saw her in Gladstone Dock.

Offline roconnor

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
She got a life extension refit to keep her on the Rosslare - Fisguard route for the next 10 years. The Fihguard route is a unique run in that it carries a lot of passengers but not a huge amount of freight. Most of the ferries nowadays are geared towards freight, hence the lack of suitable newer tonnage for the route.

Thank you for the information. yes it's a bit a of an odd route isn't it. Whenever I book driver- accompanied vehicles, I tend to send them via Liverpool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk