Author Topic: Superyacht MY SONG lost at sea  (Read 5233 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Superyacht MY SONG lost at sea
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
The 40 metre/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:56:48 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Superyacht MY SONG lost at sea
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?query=my+song

Is it normal for the yacht's crew to be responsible for the lashing as deck cargo, rather than the ship's crew?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »
Well David.

Usually, and I assume it was done as it is almost standard nowadays, these cargoes are carried "on Deck" at shippers risk. That means that anything what happens to the cargo , the carrier (the ship) is not responsible, unless it is gross neglect from their side. Cargoes are further lashed/secured under the observation of the ships command and by surveyors from shore hired by the shipper and/or receiver, special when it comes to expensive cargoes like such a yacht. Once finished loading and securing/lashing the surveyors will issue a report where they confirm that it was done properly and according to standards internationally accepted and recommended. Vessels usually have a lashing book manual, where it is outlined how to lash different things, but usually it is kept to standard cargoes what the vessel is supposed to carry. In this case, that the yacht crew did the job most probably special agreements were met to do so, but I am also in that case pretty sure that cargo surveyors from the insurance/shipper side were also present. Who in the end is responsible depends why it fall over board. That can be a dicey process,but usually it is figured out between insurances !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »
The initial assessment by the CEO of Peters and May, the company has been transporting yachts for 40 years.  He states "However, the primary assessment is that the yacht

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »
Thanks Capt Ted and Chas.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
The wreck has been recovered and is now ashore at the STP yard in Palma de Mallorca:

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/yacht-my-song-hauled-out-palma

Looks like a CTL to me, but this is yachting, so probably someone will buy the wreck and repair it.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk