ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to add a location?  (Read 1781 times)
Kern Jack
Just popping in

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:16:17 am »

I don't know if it was raised on this forum already but how to add a location to a picture of a ship? Why i asked because everytime a type a name of a port e.g. "Port of Spain" in Trinidad & Tobago, it comes up with "no ports found." I tried to browse the whole forum to find an answer but was unsuccessful. So i created this thread hoping anyone could help me. Thanks and happy spotting Smiley.
BTW, also deal with the issue when typing or searching by flag country e.g "Trinidad & Tobago" it ends up with no results when there are picture of vessels online under the flag of the said country. Thanks again.
Report to moderator   Logged
andrecas
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:53:38 am »

Quite some time ago I inquired about "adding new location(s)" and if memory serves me correctly site webmaster indicated..... "new locations are handled by the IT Dept."  Unlike Marine Traffic they are not self generated on this site. It was my understanding at the time a backlog of requests existed, and could take some time before each request addressed...?
I notice new locations are added regularly (2019 uploads) so presumably system is now current....?
I am unaware of a form available on site (requesting a new location be added),  otherwise I would renew my request.... 
Kern Jack
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 04:18:30 am »

Oh that's why. Though it seems like a while because ever since i joined this site years ago, the results were the same. I would've thought somebody would have add the named port already to this site, even before i joined. Wondering what kept them?
Yvon Perchoc
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:07 am »

Curiously in 2005, this location (Port of Spain - Trinidad & Tobago) was matching.
Please see http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=85866
Yvon
Kern Jack
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »

Oh it was, thought i remember seeing it before. So how come i'm having trouble adding Port of Spain as the location at least with my photos? It keep saying, "no ports found." Should I have included lattitude / longitude or something?  Even if you were to click on either "Port of Spain" or  "Trinidad & Tobago", it comes up with no photos found when browsing for ship photos.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:11:16 pm by Kern Jack » Report to moderator   Logged
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:33 pm »

Hello Kern

We are unable at present to update the list of ports.  I think that some were lost a while back in a server crash, and also that the demise of grosstonnage.com has complicated matters.  But I will ask IT about this again.

(Meanwhile I'll move this to the "Site-related" forum)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:59:59 pm by davidships » Report to moderator   Logged
Kern Jack
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 02:49:34 pm »

Thank you davidships, much appreciate Wink
Erlend Karlsen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:56 pm »

Is it possible to add a location now?
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 03:18:59 pm »

Sorry Erlend, we cannot - and I am not optimistic about any change soon.

To all members, please make sure that the location is clearly entered in the Photo Details. 

If members have time it would be helpful if dates/locations could be added where possible through the specific fields for those older photos that were uploaded some time in past when that system wasn't working at all.

I will update this thread as soon as there is any news on this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: