Author Topic: Lloyds List  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Propslip

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Lloyds List
« on: April 17, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
Hi,
   I am trying to find historical records of ships I saw in the early sixties & Seventies in various ports around the world. Are historical records of Lloyds List available online? If so are they free to use?
                                  Propslip

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyds List
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
Regrettably I know of no on-line source of Lloyd's Lists.  Original copies from the 1950s onwards are kept at the Borough Library in the City area of London which is a short walk from the Bank underground station in the City (Waterloo and City Line - train times were geared mainly to working office hours when I last visited).  The Lloyd's List are bound in volumes containing a year's copies.  Also available by prior arrangement are the old Lloyd's Voyage Cards for British ships (mostly 1950s-1960s era), and back copies of Lloyd's Shipping Index and Lloyd's Voyage Record.  A great place to visit for research, but best to look at their website before planning a visit,

This of course is only of use if you can reach London easily.

Best Regards

Tom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:59:35 PM by Tom Walker »

Offline Propslip

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
Thanks for that Tom. I am located in Southend so I will check this out & make it a day trip I think. Far to many gaps in my records where I have miss-read or misspelt a ahips name.
                             Propslip

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
If it is shipping in the London/Thames area that you need to research then Lloyd's List used to publish various columns/articles on various days.  In the 1950s that included Saturdays.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays ships expected in the major UK ports were published.  On Tuesdays a round-up of the recent ship sales, including those sold for scrap (I remember Liberty ships going for scrap for

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
The library you are referring to is the Guildhall Library, follow the signs for "Guildhall", next door - Lloyd's List, the voyage record cards and much more.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/guildhall-library/collections/Pages/Maritime-history.aspx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk