Author Topic: Help locating and identifying a ship!  (Read 12012 times)

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating and identifying a ship!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
What a fascination story with a marvelous outcome  ;D :o
All the best you to and yours

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
Very pleased for you,that's a fantastic outcome.
I cannot seem to view the photo you attached to your first post.
Is it due to Admin policy of not showing people or crew?

Are you using "Google Chrome"?
They did an update over the weekend which stopped me seeing some pages on different sites e.g. I couldn't see any statements on my internet banking although I was logged in, also couldn't see attached photos here like you. All seems OK today

Google Chrome on Windows 7

Offline Astra

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
Quocvo, all the best to you.

With a amazing story like yours I felt pretty sure, that you would get a reply either from Avin or the captain himself. The best thing to do, now, is to arrange for a meeting with the captain and at least some of the Kriti Rubi crew.

On 2nd May 1975 the Danish container ship Clara Maersk ( Maersk Line ) rescued 3.628 Vietnamese boat refugees and brought them to Hong Kong. Video footage of Clara Maersk's arrival at Hong Kong, two days later, and an interview with the captain of Clara Maersk about this rescue mission is on YouTube. If you are interested, just search Clara Maersk Rescue on YouTube.

Most of the Clara Maersk refugees were later granted asylum in Denmark. A baby girl born onboard was named Clara ( after the ship ) and a small boy among the boat refugees later joined the company and became a Maersk Line captain himself.

Regards. 

Offline quocvo

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
I bring unfortunate news. 

The captain identified by the company was involved in an earlier rescue a few years before my rescue. 

The search continues, but at least I now have a solid lead. 

I will keep you posted. 

Offline libertyshiplad

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05:14 PM »
Hello Robert
Yes,Google Chrome & Windows 7,photos come up ok now !!

Offline quocvo

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
Quocvo, all the best to you.

With a amazing story like yours I felt pretty sure, that you would get a reply either from Avin or the captain himself. The best thing to do, now, is to arrange for a meeting with the captain and at least some of the Kriti Rubi crew.

On 2nd May 1975 the Danish container ship Clara Maersk ( Maersk Line ) rescued 3.628 Vietnamese boat refugees and brought them to Hong Kong. Video footage of Clara Maersk's arrival at Hong Kong, two days later, and an interview with the captain of Clara Maersk about this rescue mission is on YouTube. If you are interested, just search Clara Maersk Rescue on YouTube.

Most of the Clara Maersk refugees were later granted asylum in Denmark. A baby girl born onboard was named Clara ( after the ship ) and a small boy among the boat refugees later joined the company and became a Maersk Line captain himself.

Regards. 

Hi Astra,

Thank you for your kind words and for letting me know about this.  I will be sure to look the story up.

Offline libertyshiplad

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
Wondered how your search is going.
Best of luck.

Offline quocvo

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 08:24:13 PM »
I have now identified the Captain.  It took longer because Avin Liners, like many other companies back then only had paper records.  They needed to dig out the paperwork from their archives. 

The sad news is that the Captain who saved me and my family passed away some 25 years ago.  However, the person who I thought was a doctor was actually another crew member.  He is now a Captain himself and recently retired. 

He is going to help me look for the other surviving crew members and the next of kin of the late Captain.

He has some photos which he is going to dig out.  When I get them, I will share them with you all.

All in all, I feel very grateful and humbled by everyone's help, including the staff at Avin.

Offline libertyshiplad

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Any more news?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk