Author Topic: Error reporting  (Read 7030 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Error reporting
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »
It seems that quite a bit of error reporting such as wrong IMO, name spelling or incorrect name is written in the "comment" section instead of using the "report errors" button. This displaces the "real" comments from the front page which I find a bit unfair to the photographers whose good photos deserve a comment and attention/chance to be seen by other members. If there is an error, wouldn't it be more appropriate to let the admin know and they can change it or PM the photographer instead of putting many "correct name/IMO is..." in the comment section?
Any thoughts?

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Error reporting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:19:02 AM »
It's stated pretty clear that "If you want to report errors - CLICK HERE instead of posting a comment!", so members should just act accordingly... :)

Cheers

Vlad

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »
Thank you Vlad.
Yes - I normally remind serial offenders, but missed the last couple!

David

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
I agree with all of you but it is questionable what a GOOD photo is,Csaba. When I see what some members posts I can not believe my eyes. :'(

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
it could be useful if correctors, who note the error reporting comments, will have the ability to delete such comments after the corrections have been applied.

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
You can already delete your comment

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
You can already delete your comment

but not other people's comments, which is what I am talking about. I can correct/amend for instance an IMO number but not remove the comment. The comment can stay there for ever, if both the poster and the commenter don't look back.

Offline P.F. KERR

• Photo Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:21:28 PM »
I'm probably one of the culprits when it comes to spelling and IMO mistakes; but I must add that I delete the comment as soon as it is corrected. And they are often acted upon quickly.

Any corrections that relate to classifications and building dates (of which there many), I use the correction tool, which now works well.

The site is an international treasure and the more accurate it is, the greater its worth and respect.
PK

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »
There are some practical constraints regarding error reporting.

a) the alternative and favoured routes are working properly so far as we can tell, but it is true that there have been two periods over the last 12 months when they haven't (I would like to simplify the access to thos routes from the photo pages but that it currently not achievable.

b) I appreciate the work done by the data correctors on spellings/missing IMO etc, and most reports, by whichever are dealt with promtly, though occasionally there is some bunching

c) it would not be possible to extend photocomment editing access to just one type of photocomment

d) I sympathise with the concern that too many repeated corrections can crowd out the normal range of comments - not comments on the quality of the photo itself, but other info or news about the ship, the vessel's identification, reminiscences of members (whether as shipspotters or as seafarers.  As I said earlier there were a couple of batches of useful corrections the other day which lingered rather.  Normally, when seen, I contact the helpful member reminding or informingg of the preferred routes, and also noting that every example of the same ship does not need a separate correction - most correctors check out other images and correct them also as necessary.

I have asked that the Photo Comments section on the front page be enlarged, now that the notice concerning Ken has had an extended exposure.

It is one of my prime functions to monitor the Photo Comments to ensure that unacceptable contributions are nipped in the bud before the lead to arguments - and duplicate postings deleted.  I am mindful that members' comments should not be censored except where absolutely necessary.

David

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
I would like to report an error in reporting ,not in shipspotting , but rather on marinetraffic web site, since yesterday it was reporting and showing on the map of Valletta harbour that the yacht "A" Imo.1009340 is in no.4 dock at Palumbo dockyard, knowing that the day before the yacht TOPAZ Imo.9551454 was occupying that specific dry dock, I thought that somehow the TOPAZ undocked in the afternoon and the "A" docked instead of her.So I drove down to the harbour area, looked over the bastion overlooking No.4 dock and the TOPAZ was still there with the "A" nowhere to be found.
This isn't the first time it happened, they reported the carrier ARK ROYAL tied up at Pinto wharf, another time a vehicle carrier reported in the middle of Grand Harbour Marina at Vittoriosa which if true would have caused mayhem on the super yachts there, I wonder how this happens, at the time of writing the "A" is still being depicted as in no.4 dock.
I wonder if this happens in other parts of the world.
How these mistakes happen mystify me.
regards to all
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
Hi Emmanuel,

Unfortunately, AIS is never 100% accurate. It's simple human error either with algorithms used to create the data which don't take into account nuances with MMSI numbers, or with shipboard personnel inputting bad data.There are even cases where vessels use AIS equipment discarded by other ships which are not re-programmed correctly, and sometimes deliberate malpractice from crews who intend to deceive. I don't believe that the last two scenarios were responsible for your issue. However, there are ways to check if the data you are seeing is genuine. Pay close attention to dates. Are the arrival dates long in the past or way in the future? Look at the track, does it seem feasible that a ship could undertake the reported voyage in that time frame? these are not fail safe mechanisms, but can give you a clue as to whether the data is real. As of now, Marine Traffic shows the "A" in the Philippines with no sign of it being at Malta recently. If you spot an error, I'm sure that Marine Traffic would like to hear from you so that they can investigate it their end. Unless they are aware of it, there's not much they can do about it.

In any case enjoy your shipspotting, remember years ago we just used to go to the waterfront not really knowing what we might see :-)

Brgds
Phil   

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 02:53:57 PM »
"In any case enjoy your shipspotting, remember years ago we just used to go to the waterfront not really knowing what we might see :-)"

Yes Phil, we would mostly still not have a clue about what we saw...

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »
Hello All

It the same with the Seg, it has supposed to been in Wisbech since November 25th

It amazes me how it goes thru the Kiel Kanal without reporting its position

Best Wishes
Adrian
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk