Author Topic: FSRU  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
FSRU
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »
I have noticed that a good number of large LNG/LPG tankers are converted to floating storage and re-gassification units prior to delivery.   Am I right to believe that this change is reversible and that, on demand, they can revert to their normal role of carrying LPG/LNG.  Or is is the case that once completed as a FSRU they will remain in that configuration for the foreseeable future and that considerable conversion work would be required for them to revert to simple carriage of compressed gases.  Is there an LNG/LPG shipping expert out there who can provide an answer for me.   

many thanks in anticipation

Allan Ryszka-Onions

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
Re: FSRU
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
My understanding is that an FSRU (Floating Storage Re-gasification Unit) functions in the exact same way as an LNG/LPG tanker, only with a final step that converts the liquefied gas back into a gas to be fed into the grid. This final step is usually accomplished by bolting a re-gasification unit on deck, whilst leaving all of the tanker related equipment intact.

In theory you could convert the FSRU back to a tanker fairly easily, probably in a matter of weeks. The biggest issue you'll find will probably not be the LNG/LPG tanker plant, but rather the propulsion machinery.
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
Allan,

Only LNG carriers can be configured as FSRUs, as their purpose is to regasify and deliver natural gas. LPG carriers are different animals entirely. Modern FSRUs are designed as dual purpose transportation and regasification vessels which can oeprate as offshore installations or as bog-standard LNG carriers carrying LNG from A to B. Some older vessels have been converted but because they are tied to long-term FSRU projects, the only thing preventing them from returning to regular LNG transportation when projects are over is the cost of re-activation versus age.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the information guys...most helpful

Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk