Author Topic: Level Horizons  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Chris Finney

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Level Horizons
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:39:30 AM »
I refer to "SITE STANDARDS THAT APPLY TO ALL PHOTOS - Level: The horizon must be level and verticals should appear so. The image should be straightened where necessary.

Am I alone in finding scant regard to this requirement on many photographs which appear to be routinely accepted by our screeners? Levels are very easy to correct these days using a multitude of free editing programs.

Any thoughts?

From Downunder Chris Finney

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Level Horizons
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
I would be happy that just Level Horizon is "problem" to be fixed. ???

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
We do delete quite a lot for "not straight".
But we do find that there are some which intuitively seem not straight but we cannot be sure (and for a few it's an optical illusion). Buildings can be misleading when the lens has a fairly wide angle (not talking about fish-eye of course, which is not permitted at all).

That said, it is clear that one or two members have particular difficulty - probably using mobile phones - and did not discover the ability to straighten, despite multiple deletions and explanations.  Perhaps we should be less tolerant.

Chris, would you kindly pick a handful of fairly recent ones (but not from the last few days as Admin colleagues may not have reached them yet) - and email the URLs or ref numbers to [email protected] .  That will help me review this.

"Only one on site" photos are kept, though we do ask the member to replace, if possible.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »
This can be a strange one. Sometimes the horizon is obviously not level, but I have edited some photographs, where the software says the horizon is level, but still it just doesn't "look right".

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
Just to add to the mix...
Verticals are always vertical, but the horizon may not be horizontal...

Regards, Brian.
Blistering barnacles...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk