Author Topic: Too little information  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Arnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Too little information
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:34:13 AM »
Something that has been annoying me for years, is that information about the ships is very small. When you enter (push) a photo, you would like to see something else than "entering Rotterdam" or "arriving Sevilla" or "leaving Genoa". To add a photo on this site, you need a lot of information. Seems like someone mean it take too long time to add decent vesselhistory. If they have IMO, they also have ship's history. Why not add some of it, then we don't have to search forward and back to find actual ships history. It is NOT enough with IMO. Hope someone understand what I mean.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Too little information
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:34:16 AM »
The only requirement is to add the location in the description if the location is not in the drop down box.As for the ships history most members don't have that info available to them.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
I used to add lots of info back in the days, but nowadays nobody seems to bother whatsoever, so i just add the bare facts.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
I am currently adding a lot of scanned older slides. I add all the information the site requires, but to add a lot of additional information would take too much time. When I look at a photograph and need more information, I look it up myself. I don't rely on someone else to have done it for me. There are plenty of sites, such as Equasis, and Miramar, which have all the information. I use them if I want more information. Basics, such as date, location, and IMO if applicable, are all that are needed on here. If people add more information, of course, it is very much welcomed, but it should be optional, not a requirement. Otherwise it will take too long to upload photographs, and people will stop posting.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »
You can post a lot more photos much more quickly when you don't bother to include any extra info! I agree with Arnes

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
In a way Bob, that's the point. This site is principally a photograph site, not a ship history site. It's great when people like you do post history, but it shouldn't be a requirement, just optional.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
Simon: I suppose my problem with this site is that I seem to be in a minority here in that I have had a lifelong (hobby and professional) keen interest in ships, their ownership, their histories and how they work. Photography is merely a tool that I have employed in following my hobby. It would seem we must agree to differ on this subject.

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »
Many photos of the same ships are posted on this site. It would see a bit over the top to have to repeat the history every time a photo is posted on this site.

I agree with Simon. I would rather see more of his photos rather than a lesser number with their histories. I can look that up myself elsewhere if I am really interested

Tony
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:05:33 PM by Tony des Landes »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk