ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lloyds List  (Read 945 times)
Propslip
Just popping in

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2019, 05:18:15 pm »

Hi,
   I am trying to find historical records of ships I saw in the early sixties & Seventies in various ports around the world. Are historical records of Lloyds List available online? If so are they free to use?
                                  Propslip
Report to moderator   Logged
Tom Walker
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:56:09 pm »

Regrettably I know of no on-line source of Lloyd's Lists.  Original copies from the 1950s onwards are kept at the Borough Library in the City area of London which is a short walk from the Bank underground station in the City (Waterloo and City Line - train times were geared mainly to working office hours when I last visited).  The Lloyd's List are bound in volumes containing a year's copies.  Also available by prior arrangement are the old Lloyd's Voyage Cards for British ships (mostly 1950s-1960s era), and back copies of Lloyd's Shipping Index and Lloyd's Voyage Record.  A great place to visit for research, but best to look at their website before planning a visit,

This of course is only of use if you can reach London easily.

Best Regards

Tom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:59:35 pm by Tom Walker » Report to moderator   Logged
Propslip
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 03:33:41 pm »

Thanks for that Tom. I am located in Southend so I will check this out & make it a day trip I think. Far to many gaps in my records where I have miss-read or misspelt a ahips name.
                             Propslip
Tom Walker
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:49:44 pm »

If it is shipping in the London/Thames area that you need to research then Lloyd's List used to publish various columns/articles on various days.  In the 1950s that included Saturdays.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays ships expected in the major UK ports were published.  On Tuesdays a round-up of the recent ship sales, including those sold for scrap (I remember Liberty ships going for scrap for 12,000 to 15,000 at one time).  Wednesdays was launches, new contracts signed, and a round-up of the repair and shipbuilding yards in the UK.  Everyday had arrivals/sailings geographically grouped, casualty news, and ships in port in the major ports.  London also had coverage with London - In the River and entrance and clearance in London Custom House and also news on the freight markets.  In the 50s it sold for 4d. per copy.

Another source of movement information was the daily Journal of Commerce published daily in Liverpool.  I was a latecomer to that paper but recall that it also had movements and expected arrivals and had maps of the main ports to help readers find the berths referred to.  I'm not sure if the latter paper is kept by the Borough Library.

Best regards

Tom
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »

The library you are referring to is the Guildhall Library, follow the signs for "Guildhall", next door - Lloyd's List, the voyage record cards and much more.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/guildhall-library/collections/Pages/Maritime-history.aspx

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: