Author Topic: ships.lv  (Read 2534 times)

Offline mkw.fotografie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My pictures at alamy
ships.lv
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
Good morning everybody,

I just discovered ships.lv, awebsite whithout any kind of imprint.
You will find a database with more than 148.000 ships. There is a big photogallery for every vessel, all photos taken from shipspotting.
Below the galery you can find this text:

"Photos copyright: You can use photos by ships.lv for both commercial and non commercial use. Direct link you our website is obligatory!"

Is there any cooperation between ships.lv and shipspotting.com?
I do not allow anyone to use my pictures publicated here for any of use without asking for permission.

Rgds,
Martin
Removed all my pictures from this website, due to copyright-violations by external websites.

Please visit this website to see my pictures:
https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid=%7B0B73653B-58EE-4FDD-B209-6FD5F9675747%7D&name=Martin+Witte&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: ships.lv
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
Martin,

Its one of several sites like this that takes all its images from other sources.
Here is another one of them.

https://www.balticshipping.com/vessels

The only protection is never to post your images on the Web, as a lot of sites lift images for their own use without permission.

I have cut back and am actually thinking of discontinuing uploading altogether.

best regards
Derek

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
I can assure all members that shipspotting.com has no cooperation with ships.lv, balticshipping.com or any other external website.

It is generally considered that such scams are inevitable, and that rarely will sites of this kind respond to any requests to remove stolen images.  There has been some limited success with more open and accessible sites (eg Instagram, MarineTraffic), with the direct help of individual members.

Nevertheless where contact is possible we will follow up on members' behalf.  I have an apparent contact email for ships.lv - when/if it is confirmed as correct I will add it here so that individual members can demand the removal of their images if they so wish.  We can pursue it in parallel in more general terms.

Incidentally, both ships.lv and balticshipping.com appear to have Latvian owners (not necessarily the same one).

The placing of a link to our front page beneath photographs is meaningless as not only have they stolen the photo, but also suppressed the ID of the copyright holder.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:13:43 PM by davidships »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
supreme.lv is the contact point for ships.lv and have replied as follows:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us.

When we launch the website ships.lv a while ago, our developed should have contacted you for that permission. And according to what he've told us he did.

No problem to follow your wish.
We have removed all photos. I am very surprised to hear from you regarding this. I tough we have all permissions from you to use photo thumbnails on our website. We have not even downloaded the photos. So please except our excuse. We have no intention to act in inappropriate way regarding your photos.

Regards,
Supreme.lv

For the moment the images have been blanked, but we will have to watch.  There are some aspects of this practice which I am reviewing with Admin colleagues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk