Author Topic: Photo composition rules  (Read 19759 times)

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
Re: Photo composition rules
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
Hi Juergen,

I saw your photos and was suprised about deletion.
The difference in angle is significant and there are thousands of photos on the site and growing daily with a less difference in angle.

Nevertheless, please do not stop uploading.Keep your photos on this site.

brgds
Stan

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »
I have got to say that flagging one of these for deletion seems to me to be a bit perverse. They are clearly taken at a different location, and, judging by the vegetation, a different time of year. It is strange that the site standards allow identical shots of the same vessel from different photographers all stood alongside each other on the same day at Maasvalkte but don't allow these.

Did you appeal the decision of the admins, I'd be surprised if a second look would not have reversed the decision.

However I am also disappointed that you are deleting your photographs. This site is about it's members, not the admins. I, for one, would like to still see your photographs. They are very much appreciated. When I post on here, I post for the benefit of other members.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
Some years ago I had uploaded this photo:

https://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=339222&size=1600

It was considered for deletion, reason: Obstructed by trees.
My reaction was to delete all my 22 000 uploaded photos, took me many, many days.

And now I see a photo with 4 tugboats alongside, this ship is not obstructed by tugs?

2 different interpretations or we have new rules?

I have only 4200 photos left to be deleted.

Offline Marc Pingoud

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
Dear J
One hand for myself, one for the ship - and one for my camera!

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
To Jurgen: your photo of RIJNBORG with the eis coloring the trees (our word for it is: verglas)  is a master piece.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »
@Daniel,
I received many emails like yours, but the photo was not good enough for SS in 2010 because the ship was obstructed by trees, not by twigs.
Not much in the deletion policy has changed since then.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »
That snow covered scenery is absolutely beautiful and the obstruction is really minimal, it is not that we are not seeing some crucial part of the ship. I always enjoyed your photos from the Kiel canal of changing seasons with ships. I would like you to stop deleting them but if you must, are you putting them on somewhere else so that we can enjoy them?

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 12:08:55 AM »
Just my thought, if the trees and landscape were not covered in snow would we be having this discussion ?.... probable not  ;) just because the trees are covered in snow doesn't make it any less obstructed.   

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 06:40:20 AM »
@Paul,
the Rijnborg photo is now 8 years old, but until today there is a big difference between obstruction and obstruction, between uploader an uploader and admin and admin.
Is a passenger ship in e.g. Port of Sydney with 2 tugs or a bunker boat alongsinde not obstructed?

@csaba
Go to Marinetraffic and search for my account, you find all my photos, and MT is happy to receive such photos which will be deleted here.

Rgds. Juergen

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »
Hello Juergen,photos of a ship with tugs or bunker boats attached to it are not obstructed as such as they are working with the ship,but if the tugs or bunker boat were passing pass the ship and not assisting the ship yes the photo is obstructed.

As for Marine Traffic it does only one thing good and its good at it,live shipping map as for its photos well no comment  ;)     

Offline simon de jong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
Hello Jurgen
I always liked youre foto,s on marinetraffic but i also deleted my foto,s from shipspotting because of their different rules for different photographers i recommenend flickr no rules.
Regards
Simon de Jong

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
Interesting debate. From my point of view it is not the rules that are the problem, but the inconsistent, and sometimes arbitrary way in which they are applied. I have stuck with Shipspotting even when it seems to me quite randomly one of my photographs has been deleted, because it is the best site for shipping photographs, but it is not without it's own problems at times. For example, I had a photograph deleted for a reason I though was very harsh. As an experiment I reposted it a few weeks later. It is still on here. I had one photograph deleted because the admin said the colour of the hull was wrong!!!!! In fact it had just come out of dry-dock, and the hull had been repainted a slightly different shade of green. However this site is not unique in having these sorts of problems, I belong to a couple of aviation sites, and they have very similar problems. In this case what is an acceptable obstruction for one person, is not for an other. It is a great shame when this leads to someone deleting their photographs. I would have left them on here, but not posted any more. It is other members who lose out when you delete photographs, anot the admins.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
If someone with a large collection of photos on Shipspotting deletes them all, let them. They can do as they please. However, they should automatically be banned for life. Why should they get access to other members' photos, when theirs cannot be accessed any longer?

Brgds

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
@Phil English
....................said the emperor to his people.
Have you ever thought why long lasted member delete their photos?
As long as I am a member is there the problem with the deletion policy, how many member have deleted all their photos in the past 10 years?
If you have an orgasmus you can delete my account and the remaining 2990 photos, it saves me a long tome to delete them all by hand.

Without Brgds.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Your choice.. you delete them

PS - I'm administrator in name only. I no longer undertake admin on this site and haven't done for some considerable time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk