Author Topic: LR/IMO numbers on older vessels  (Read 24556 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: LR/IMO numbers on older vessels
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »
With so may Miramar/Non-IMO numbers appearing on the site nowadays, is't it time for Admins to clarify the site rules on the subject? 
Do we use Miramar ID or not and wouldn't there be a copyright problem if we did?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
I am in touch with Rodger Haworth about this.

David

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
Hi,

I know this has been discussed fairly exhaustively in the past, but I would prefer to use the LR/IMO option as this is in wide spread use for current shipping.  I have an interest in researching my Father's photographs, many taken in the 50s and 60s, and some even older so am well aware of the historic limitations of IMOs.  I feel that making the Mirimar Number the standard only signifies a preference to 'look backwards' and may not attract the younger element.  This is my personal view and not intended to complicate the discussion.

Thanks you - best regards

Tom

Offline LPX

• Photo Corrections
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
Need take a note that a lot of ships scrapped at 70-s/80-s and some even at the end on 60-s which of cause never had an official IMO number are in ship's data bases under LR number as most data bases constructed on LR's data. http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2957413

So, exempting the IMO/LR number to a separate log on the site will be shown as the Miramar number etc. it will loose ship details for many ships with a number beginning by 9, while keeping data base for both logs will collapse the idea, and that looks unworkable.

Another point, that's  impossible to define is it LR number or just the Miramar for numbers beginning by 9 unless compared with LR's data but that's unworkable for a simple site user.

Still the Miramar alternative could be used for CARGO ships beginning with numbers other than 9 including those with 3-4 digit numbers only.

Also, it could be a solution to have a link or a note on the site explaining IMO number and its use, for example: " IMO number is valid for ships existed after the year 1987, otherwise is the LR number" , also to rename IMO log to a LR/IMO log will be correct in fact.

Regarding to split IMO/LR numbers is more unrealistic idea as will need to process sub million photos to revise i.e. all ships deleted before the year 1987 at least  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:02:52 AM by 3SX »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk