Author Topic: Advice Portsmouth / Rotterdam / Kiel Canal  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
Advice Portsmouth / Rotterdam / Kiel Canal
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
I

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Portsmouth / Rotterdam / Kiel Canal
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
Hi Richard,

Stena run a ferry service from near my home at Harwich to the Hook of Holland, which is at the mouth of the New Waterway. From there its still I think a bus replacement service to Rotterdam due to the rail service suspended whilst a new metro/tram is built. Public cruises of Rotterdam harbour are run by "Spido"
https://www.spido.nl which can be accessed by a tram from Rotterdam central station Used to be number 5 last time I used it).
A small fast ferry runs from the Hook of Holland to Europort for passengers and bikes. This affords good views and photographic opportunities if you do a round trip which is very cheap around 5 Euros.

This link may help you access the Kiel Canal from Rotterdam https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rotterdam/Rendsburg

best regards and best of luck and enjoy your holiday.

Derek

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
You mentioned Portsmouth. Best spot for view and photographs at Portsmouth is the Round Tower. Take the train to Portsmouth Harbour Station, then follow the millennium trail south for about twenty minutes on foot. There is a tourist information centre at the Hard Interchange, just outside the station, with excellent free maps.

If you are in this area, another good option is a round trip on the Red Funnel ferry from Southampton to Cowes on the Isle Of Wight. From Southampton Railway Station take a bus to the ferry terminal at Town Quay (I think it's free). The ferry passes close to vessels at the Eastern Docks, and Fawley, and Hamble if any alongside, plus anything on the move in Southampton Water. Round trip takes about 2-1/2 hours.

Offline les.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
Also look up Southampton blue funnel day cruises, as they provide  the opportunity  to see more vessels in Southampton docks neither the IOW ferry or the harbour cruises are over expensive plus give a non interested companion an opportunity to see something different. Hope you have a pleasant  time.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
For Portsmouth movements, naval & ferry (not cargo ships) see

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsmouth/shipping-movements

Info: OSB is outside the harbour so if movement is OSB to ... the vessels is incoming, ... to OSB is outgoing. (Key to abbreviations at the bottom of page)

As Simon says, the Round Tower is a good vantage point, there are also harbour trips (no need to pre-book) from Gunwharf Quay near the rail station.

Regards

Bob

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
I have spent quite a few times in Rendsburg on the Kiel Canal.
There is a nice hotel (Hotel ConventGarden)on the North bank. However, my place of choice is on the South side at Osterronfeld which can be accessed from a foot tunnel from next to the above hotel. Turn East out of the tunnel and head for Am Kanal where you will find a restaurant with rooms : - Kanal-Cafe Ask for bedroom overlooking the canal and enjoy!

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
Russell,

Thanks - by chance the Kanal-Haus is where I've booked to stay.

Richard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk