Author Topic: Is there a site problem?  (Read 133481 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a site problem?
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
I'm hoping to hear by tomorrow morning whether apparently lost photos etc will be recoverable.  So please don't reload yet, just keep a note.

To me it seems that what is lost was loaded between c1515UTC yesterday to about 1200UTC today

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
I've lost a reply (to this thread, ironically).

Are IT saying the loss of comments and the extremely slow running was caused by a lack of disk space? If so, perhaps it's time someone looked into moving image hosting over to an S3 or something similar? Or at the very least putting the database in it's own separate bubble to stop it being partly overwritten in future.. Or adding a catch ($e) exception so it doesn't plough on regardless of how much space it has to use...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:10:33 PM by smithy166 »
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2020, 05:19:17 PM »
Yesterday I posted 20 new photos on site, today these photos dissapeared please may you inform me if there was a problem on the site and if these photos can be recovered in order to post them again.

Thanks and
Regards

Tomi.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2020, 11:58:36 PM »
The photos uploaded during the time of the "incident" were overwritten by the newly uploaded photos. I've got my "Your photo has been successfully uploaded" page saved in my cache, by clicking on it I've got completely different photo.
There was also one interesting side effect, the comments given to the lost photos were attached to the newly uploaded ones (under the same number). :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2020, 12:18:51 AM »
@Smithy.  No, I misunderstood a message from IT.  I think this problem was in migrating the database to their cloud servers (in order that problems with disk space wouldn't occur again).

@lappino and others.  Please email the URLs for pages that you see that have misplaced Photo Comments, at [email protected]

Another side effect: fifteen images which deleted about 24 hours ago were all back by the morning, the automatic emails informing the members concerned and explaining why had been sent.

Hope to have more news during the morning.

David

Offline John van Zijderveld

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Johns scheepvaart foto's
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
I also miss 3 photos (Seraya, Victory G and the Sandettie FC716999), is it wiser to wait until the end of the day, or should I upload them again?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
I have it now direct from the software developers:
We migrated the Shipspotting database to a new server on June 17th. After performing some tests on our side, we confirmed that everything looked good in terms of functionality and performance, and we decided to make the changes permanent on June 17th at 17:45 UTC. However, on the next day, it came to our attention that many users were reporting on the forums that the website was very slow and sometimes unusable, which prompted us to revert back to the old database at 12:00 UTC in order to restore the website's usability. We believed that it would be critical to have the usability of the website back to normal as quickly as possible by reverting to the old database, since the performance issues could take up to 1 week to resolve.

Unless anyone has experienced any new instability today, I would say that it is OK to continue with normal usage and uploading.

Meanwhile I ave agreed with IT that scheduled maintenance is planned that might affect uploading and related functionality that should be prenotified by notice on the Home Page. And I have agreed with them that if in their judgment, to avoid the risk of loss of material already on site or of similar malfunctions during planned or unplanned maintenance, it is better to restrict activity, they should do that, provided a placeholder page can be seen by members/visitors.  We can review how that works as we go along.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
IT has produced list of members whose uploads are believed to be lost and I have emailed them all.
If anyone else thinks that they lost photos and has not received an email (or a PM sent if email delivery fails) please let me know, and I will investigate further.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2020, 05:04:45 AM »
getting a big red "not secure" warning just now....

Offline Jimmy Poole

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
I am getting Not Secure and a big red triangle on the site

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »
now one day later, still getting this "site not secure" warning.... better stay away....

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
I am more than happy to be corrected, but I believe that this is standard info from your browser, when using a site that has not yet changed from "http" to the more secure "https".  It is what it says it is - a warning that, as Firefox puts it:
"Your connection to this site is not private.  Information you submit could be viewed by others (like passwords, messages, credit cards etc)"
.  It is not saying that the site is dangerous, only that there are certain things which should not be submitted here. I think that it is probably being noticed now because a browser/s (not Firefox) has changed the prominence of what it said before. It would be helpful to know from Dirk, Jimmy or others which browser they are using

My understanding is that as part of the tech refresh the site is moving to https in any case.  I have asked IT for an update on this (and confirmation of whether my understanding above is correct or not). You may connect with me offsite at [email protected] if you prefer.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:19:11 PM by davidships »

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
Hi David,

I am getting a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. When clicked it states the connection is not secure and not to enter any sensitive info such as credit cards etc.

My browser is "Opera" which is up to date.

best regards
Derek

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »
Davidships is correct ...this is the warning you get on any website in the browser bar if the site does not have a registered SSL certificate.(https). Some browsers just say simply "Not Secure" and others are more "in your face" with red triangles etc. Sites are safe to use so long as you are not transmitting personal data eg credit card details or passwords attached to such.
Possibly certificate got "misplaced" in recent computer hiccup.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
I have not suffered any recent hiccups, but since two days I am getting that red unsafe site warning sign, same as Derek Sands. So I am afraid that my password is susceptible here......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk