Author Topic: Is there a site problem?  (Read 133456 times)

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a site problem?
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
@Stan
I am emailing you shortly

David

Offline Anthony Legg

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
Using the latest version of Firefox with the add-on Smart HTPPS I have had no problems with warnings.This add on changes seamlessly any HTTP site to an Https, with the ability to over ride should the need arise. For those who may wish to give it a go I can only say that it seems to work for me.
Any comments or observations on others using this feature would be appreciated.

Offline wartsilasulzer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Every time I try to login I get the red warning message that this website is not secure. I have been waiting for several months for Ship Spotting to upgrade the security protocols, can someone please give me an approximate date when security changes will have been completed.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
I'm surprised that members are still concerned by the 'not secure' messages. I thought Cedric had explained it very well, with reassurances:

Hi all,

As mentioned here a few pages back, the "not secure" banners in your browser only mean that this website is not using the https protocol. The technical team is working on this, but since it is a pretty big operation this may take some time. The banner "not secure" is therefor not really a problem or safety problem with the website as such, only that traffic between your computer and the shipspotting.com server is not encrypted. This is not a major issue since no financial or confidential information is exchanged here.

I hope this makes things clearer for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:56:43 PM by Phil English »

Offline wartsilasulzer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
Good Evening Phil, thank you for your reply. However...you have not answered my question, can you please give me an approximate date when the changeover process to improve the site's security protocols will be completed. If data that is being sent / received between my computer and the SS website is not being encrypted and handled properly then it is open to interception by third parties and that may subsequently lead to malicious content being added to any such exchange. I have no desire to allow third parties to access my computer hard drive. I may not exchange sensitive financial information with the SS website but like thousands of other members I do exchange financial information with other websites when I make an online purchase. All I am asking for is a completion date. Thank you Phil.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
Neither Phil nor I, nor anyone else on the front end of this site, can give even an approximate date for conversion to https.  Yes, it is in the prgramme. But that is entirely in the hands of Henrik, the site's IT guy in Sweden who has been asked by me several times recently - the last on Friday 14/12.  As soon as I have info I will post it here.

Meanwhile all members should be continuing to keep their anti-virus and anti-malware software up-to-date.

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »
Today it seems that the

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
Yes, I am. I use the Drop Down menu all the time - but not today. Quite simply, nothing drops down...!
There was a problem with it yesterday in that the menu would drop down but one had to click twice on the category one wanted to see before it would open. Today, not even that...

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2019, 06:03:04 PM »
Just seen a reply from Henrik elsewhere:

We had problems this night, the lists should be re-generated soon.

David
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:05:41 PM by davidships »

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »
All seems well this morning, thank you.

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
Malwarebytes / Norton (both premium programs) work "overtime" when I'm on this site. Would like to add a third layer of security such as a VPN.  Any members subscribe to such a network? And, given what's been discussed previously, does anyone out there know if adding this additional feature would block one's access to site...?

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
I believe Norton contains VPN so no need to add.
One of the most common causes of a slow VPN connection is the VPN server. Sometimes a server you're connected to might also be experiencing high demand and become overloaded. Quite possible with everyone confined to home and "playing games" & streaming video during isolation.
As long as your router is secured and your Wi-Fi is using something like a WPA2 password, then by and large, you probably don't need a VPN at home.  VPN is only required if using internet cafes,or wifi on the road etc.
Try turning off your VPN in Norton to see if improvement.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:31:23 AM by ChasB46 »

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
Thank you ChasB46 for your reply. In my area (Eastern Canada), Norton does offer VPN but it is an add on feature that comes with a cost. It is my understanding basic VPN's begin around the $4 or $5 range per month. I would assume Norton have different plans for different countries, that either include/exclude VPN feature in overall pkg tailored to a specific customer needs....?
Thanks again for the info/suggestion.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »
Error 28 is back for some functions, including forum posts - IT already informed
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:26:42 AM by davidships »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk