Author Topic: Is there a site problem?  (Read 133162 times)

Offline john white

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a site problem?
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »
I have same problem no green padlock showing site not safe

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
The problem is certainly not gone away at all. It comes in a new flavour (now it's something about Windows font pack). This is Denmark, I use Firefox. Firefox leaves me in no doubt about the risk. It's not pleasant.
Maybe it's time to close the site for a while and give it a thorough scrub out, make it a safe site (https). Maybe even a cosmetic make-over while you are at it. It's beginning to show its age.
just my thoughts.
I wish you good luck with it.
Uwe

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
I do not get any warnings as "infiltrations" are blocked. However looking at UBlock Origin history it shows two curious entries blocked / in bold .. first of a javascript trying to run and in the other a reference to missingkids.com/. Maybe of help to admin.

9:43:50            css   http://forum.shipspotting.com/Themes/default/print.css?fin11
19:43:49      ||googlesyndication.com^   --   script   http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js
19:43:49      ||addthis.com^$important,third-party,domain=~missingkids.com|~missingkids.org   --   script   http://s7.addthis.com/js/addthis_widget.php?v=12

19:43:49            css   http://forum.shipspotting.com/Themes/shipspotting/css/style-main.css
19:43:49            css   http://forum.shipspotting.com/Themes/shipspotting/style.css?fin11
19:43:49            inline-script   http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=85lp395bi892849dnvjm7re9n1&/topic,16204.msg85933.html#new
19:43:49            doc   http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=85lp395bi892849dnvjm7re9n1&/topic,16204.msg85933.html#new

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Many members still report problems with the site. But why do we not hear any status report about solving the problems from the technical team?

Why has the site owner not intervened by now with technical support and / or money to solve the problems?

I am using Norton that gives me the "not safe"-warning, but I can access the site after the warning without any further problems. Does that mean that Norton has flagged the website internally for ever as "not safe"?

Questions, questions, questions, now the answers please?

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
I am using Norton that gives me the "not safe"-warning, but I can access the site after the warning without any further problems. Does that mean that Norton has flagged the website internally for ever as "not safe"?

I can't answer the rest, but Norton will flag the site as "unsafe" until the webmaster of shipspotting.com cleans the site up, then requests a re-test from Norton. Until the re-test is completed and no issues are found, it will continue to be flagged as dangerous.

Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2018, 07:02:27 AM »
Got this message this morning from AVG : Connection discontinued, because of this script: JS:SCRIPTIP-inf [Trj]  after which I could no reconnect immediately. Only about 15 minutes later when I tried again the site opened in the normal way, without any messages. AVG considered the level of threat 1 out of maximum of 3.

There are still many new photo's being uploaded, so apparently not everybody is scared enough to stop visiting.

I support the voices that ask for information about why this is continuing and what the progress is related to solving the problems.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:06:21 AM by pieter melissen »

Clydee

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
Has this step been taken?  See smithy 166 post below

"I can't answer the rest, but Norton will flag the site as "unsafe" until the webmaster of shipspotting.com cleans the site up, then requests a re-test from Norton. Until the re-test is completed and no issues are found, it will continue to be flagged as dangerous."

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
Norton online report rates shipspotting computer threats 1 , identity threats 0 , annoyance threats 0.

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Both my pc and mac still blocked by malewarebytes after three weeks. Obvious site management is not  concerned. Dissapointing , this was a great site.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
For the sake of clarity, the technical management of the ShipSpotting site is entirely in the hands of Administrator, Henrik Soderberg.  All the rest of the Admin team are concerned only with managing the platform content, using the tools and facilities provided to us.  We are not able to access or work on the site's functionality (and, at least speaking for myself, would not be competent to do so) - my understanding is that that has always been the case, and a source of as much frustration to my predecessors.

Despite repeated requests Henrik has not posted a progress report directly on this forum since 12 June, nor responded to me with anything meaningful since 19 June (as per my post here on the same day).  Neither of those advices seem to address the continuing range of issues experienced by members.  This is not to say that Henrik has been inactive, only that we do not know the situation.  In addition I have told Henrik that if he advised that he could resolve the problems better by taking the site offline while he worked on it (preferably with an "under maintenance" holding page), that would have my support.

I told Henrik yesterday that my firm view is that as it stands at the moment, we can give no comfort to the members that any of the problems have been resolved and certainly not that the site is clear of risks.  That will not change until we receive proper reports on the identified problems and that, from the site's point of view, access is safe (it is recognised that there may, in addition, be issues of the interaction of Shipspotting with a variety of different combinations of browser, anti-virus, anti-malware programmes etc but I am not at all convinced that that is the whole story).

I will continue to keep all members in the picture as I see it and I ask you to continue to provide factual updates on any changes you experience either here on this forum or, if preferred, by email to [email protected].

best wishes

David

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
Thanks David, we share your frustration.

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
Hi
If you are using: Malware Premium
I have done the following that works on my Pc (W10 + I.E.11 and Edge.
Look here:
Malware/Premium
Open: Settins
Open: Exclusion
under: Exception 
Then: add exceptions
Now you get four Choices
o : exclude a file or folder
o : exclude a website
o : exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet
o . exclude a priviously registered ex ploit
Try out and enter the following :

1: www.shipspotting.com/
2: forum.shipspotting.com/
Then. Next
Be patient until you see that both are in the exclusion

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
Has anyone tried to use Malwarebytes to do a scan of the Shipspottig.com site? Maybe such a scan will reveal some of the troublesome code.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:43:06 PM by Oldkayaker »

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »
Hi all,

There was a javascript link on the site that caused initial problems. There are no threats on the site, and we try to have Malwarebytes to remove the block.

You can remove the block in your software as per the instructions above. If you do - please note that we never want you to click any download links and we never want you to run or give access to something on your computer. These pop-up questions can show up in your browser either if we have a bad advertiser not yet blocked by the ad agency we use, or if your computer is affected by malware already that does not have anything with shipspotting.com to do.

Regards,
Henrik

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »
Thanks Hendrik,

I hope problems are over now. I keep my fingers crossed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk