ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a site problem?  (Read 64360 times)
lappino
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2018, 07:24:09 pm »

Norton says not safe.

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shipspotting.com%2Fgallery%2Fadd_photo.php
Report to moderator   Logged
andrecas
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2018, 12:32:44 am »

I tried again this evening June 20th, (8:45 pm-Eastern Canada) to log on site and malwarebytes still blocking access which suggests to me this site continues to be unsafe and not secure. Since this topic began more than 2 weeks ago there have been more than 5,000 “reads”  registered.  Of the vast membership roster approximately 50 have posted a reply expressing concern one way or another. I noticed some  members continue to upload freely, presumably ignoring warnings or simply managing exclusions circumventing those Norton/Malwarebytes warnings. Others, have chosen to refrain from uploading for  the time being. And still  others have chosen to remain silent altogether (in expressing their concern).
There is another topic in the forum dealing with site security which aired  awhile back (could not find after cursory search). Perhaps the two are not related? However, given the scope of current problem, there is, (to me anyway), something nefarious hiding somewhere in the Shipspotting site designed to cause harm and/or disruption.
For all of Henrik’s efforts and hard work put into rectifying this problem so far, there yet appears to be a fix shoring up any/all  “loose ends”.
In terms of providing a so called “secure” and “safe” site, what is it that MarineTraffic and the others are doing that Shipspotting isn’t.....?
I’m no techie but they’ve  evidently incorporated certain levels/layers of (security) software thus avoiding what this site is currently experiencing.
I believe with proper (security) enhancements Shipspotting can continue to be a premium site with quality features enjoyed by many shipping enthusiasts.
I like this site’s format, the interaction (comments) of/with other members. It’s design makes site easy to navigate etc.
I know the Webmasters, Admins, Henrik, etc., put in  long hours to keep site runnIng smoothly, providing  (to quote what is under the mast head).....“best ship information”.  Their efforts are very much appreciated.
With all the attention currently focused  on Henrik to get site back on track (for everyone), I’m sure it is glitch is  frustrating for all concerned.
I’m hoping the Shipspotting team will get through this sooner than later.
Looking forward to uploading again in the not  too distant future.
Best regards to all,
andre
Paul Finnigan
Photo Administrator
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2018, 01:21:23 am »

My understanding is that all http websites now show not secure in the ULR bar where passwords etc are used.This is intended for web site developers to update to https websites. 
Jens Boldt
Photo Corrections
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:23 am »

I'm using Firefox 60.0.2 on Windows 10 built 18.03, Windows defender and Adblock Plus.
No obvious problems with the site with that configuration.

Windows defender shows all systems green...

“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. After all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.”
- Dame Edna Everage

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
- Unknown
rarcand
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2018, 02:16:42 am »

The site is still rated as insecure by Google Chrome and this does not seems to be related to the use of login and passwords. Some other sites I visited are also rated as such while other displayed the padlock icon.
Also, when in the last days navigation through the site was back to normal, today it is very slow and I had some trouble to display the full screen pictures at first but the situation improved at a later time.
Paul Finnigan
Photo Administrator
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2018, 02:41:25 am »

The site is still rated as insecure by Google Chrome and this does not seems to be related to the use of login and passwords. Some other sites I visited are also rated as such while other displayed the padlock icon.
Also, when in the last days navigation through the site was back to normal, today it is very slow and I had some trouble to display the full screen pictures at first but the situation improved at a later time.
Hello Rarcand,

Google Chrome shows all http websites as Not Secure.It doesn't really mean that the site is unsafe as we have been using this configuration in the past .Software companies want websites owners to upgrade to https that's why Not Secure is showing in the ULR bar.This is the way I understand it from what I have read. I should add I,m no expert so I could be wrong !       
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:52:31 am by Paul Finnigan » Report to moderator   Logged
Tony Martin
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2018, 07:23:10 am »

Re this problem with malwarebytes blocking  the site, issue seems to be adware ( malicious software which displays unwanted or corrupt advertising) maybe this is the issue and those using  adblocker are not experiencing the problem . In any case the site seems to have a problem.
smithy166
Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
Quite a regular

In a hole.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »

Running Ublock origin, and the attached popped up today...

Links to an EXE that seems to be identical to that which I mentioned previously (http://shipspotting.com/ smf1/include/Install.exe). I'm now VERY doubtful this is merely restricted to the ad provider the site uses, but rather a larger issue with the site itself.
SMF doesn't ship with an EXE, no matter the version - Something I know as I run a number of sites running SMF software... So that installer should definitely NOT be there!

The popup links to a file that contains a Trojan, classified as "UDS:Trojan-spy.Win32.SpyEyes.a ". This particular Trojan contains, amoungst other things, a key-logger, a self-installing rootkit to hide it's presence, and the ability to download and install updates pushed from the attacker to the infected machine, without intervention by the end user.
It appears to be designed primarily to help steal login credentials of users, pushing them to the attacker.

Interestingly, the site attempted to download the file from "shipspotting.com/SMF1/include/install.exe" whilst I was editing this post, without a pop-up. Kaspersky total security intervened and prevented the download.

[DA: disrupted above link to avoid inadvertant access]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:01:59 pm by davidships » Report to moderator   Logged

Enough torque to restart a dead planet!
seaweasel
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:30 pm »

Very shortly after accessing shipspotting.com the attached message showed up on the front page.

This message tells me to install a flash player update and it pretends that I use a certain obsolete version - actually flash player is not installed at all. When right-clicking on the message it still asks to start a download from some dubious site (as shown on attachment).

I use Firefox 60.0.2 with uBlock Origin 1.16.10 and NoScript Version 10.1.8.2.

I hope this information will be helpful in further analyzing the problem.

Best regards Hans
Pilot Frans
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:31 pm »

I had both message pumping up of Seawessel and Smithy 166
yesterday.
I start dowloading start away. I stopped downloading process and deleted interruped file

dirk septer
Just can't stay away

Navigare necesse est

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »

Shipspotting blocked/marked as unsafe site; again I'm getting this phony JAVA update prompt again;
Oldkayaker
Supporter
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2018, 04:43:10 pm »

Agree with many of the comments that the problem seems to come from ads.  What is confusing for a former Supporter is that we were supposed to be ad free if we provided support!!!?Huh??
csaba
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2018, 06:48:34 pm »

All fine if I log on from work, using Chrome. But logging on from home I am getting messages that it is a dangerous site and must download Microsoft update etc. using Firefox at home.
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:07 pm »

Just got a new pop-up, which immediately disappeared and was replaced by a statement from my computer that I was about to download an exe programme. As the extensions said .ru I refused, went back to shipspotting and the pop-ups have disappeared. It could have caught me (or you) unaware, so not everything is safe around here.
Robert J Smith
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:05 pm »

The address bar at the top when logged into SS says "Not secure" click on this and I get "Your connection to this site is not secure"

I get the secure "padlock" on all other sites.

Chrome on Windows 7
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: