Author Topic: Is there a site problem?  (Read 133461 times)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a site problem?
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2018, 12:32:44 AM »
I tried again this evening June 20th, (8:45 pm-Eastern Canada) to log on site and malwarebytes still blocking access which suggests to me this site continues to be unsafe and not secure. Since this topic began more than 2 weeks ago there have been more than 5,000

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2018, 01:21:23 AM »
My understanding is that all http websites now show not secure in the ULR bar where passwords etc are used.This is intended for web site developers to update to https websites. 

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
I'm using Firefox 60.0.2 on Windows 10 built 18.03, Windows defender and Adblock Plus.
No obvious problems with the site with that configuration.

Windows defender shows all systems green...

Offline rarcand

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2018, 02:16:42 AM »
The site is still rated as insecure by Google Chrome and this does not seems to be related to the use of login and passwords. Some other sites I visited are also rated as such while other displayed the padlock icon.
Also, when in the last days navigation through the site was back to normal, today it is very slow and I had some trouble to display the full screen pictures at first but the situation improved at a later time.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2018, 02:41:25 AM »
The site is still rated as insecure by Google Chrome and this does not seems to be related to the use of login and passwords. Some other sites I visited are also rated as such while other displayed the padlock icon.
Also, when in the last days navigation through the site was back to normal, today it is very slow and I had some trouble to display the full screen pictures at first but the situation improved at a later time.
Hello Rarcand,

Google Chrome shows all http websites as Not Secure.It doesn't really mean that the site is unsafe as we have been using this configuration in the past .Software companies want websites owners to upgrade to https that's why Not Secure is showing in the ULR bar.This is the way I understand it from what I have read. I should add I,m no expert so I could be wrong !       
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:52:31 AM by Paul Finnigan »

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
Re this problem with malwarebytes blocking  the site, issue seems to be adware ( malicious software which displays unwanted or corrupt advertising) maybe this is the issue and those using  adblocker are not experiencing the problem . In any case the site seems to have a problem.

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »
Running Ublock origin, and the attached popped up today...

Links to an EXE that seems to be identical to that which I mentioned previously (http://shipspotting.com/ smf1/include/Install.exe). I'm now VERY doubtful this is merely restricted to the ad provider the site uses, but rather a larger issue with the site itself.
SMF doesn't ship with an EXE, no matter the version - Something I know as I run a number of sites running SMF software... So that installer should definitely NOT be there!

The popup links to a file that contains a Trojan, classified as "UDS:Trojan-spy.Win32.SpyEyes.a ". This particular Trojan contains, amoungst other things, a key-logger, a self-installing rootkit to hide it's presence, and the ability to download and install updates pushed from the attacker to the infected machine, without intervention by the end user.
It appears to be designed primarily to help steal login credentials of users, pushing them to the attacker.

Interestingly, the site attempted to download the file from "shipspotting.com/SMF1/include/install.exe" whilst I was editing this post, without a pop-up. Kaspersky total security intervened and prevented the download.

[DA: disrupted above link to avoid inadvertant access]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:01:59 PM by davidships »
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »
Very shortly after accessing shipspotting.com the attached message showed up on the front page.

This message tells me to install a flash player update and it pretends that I use a certain obsolete version - actually flash player is not installed at all. When right-clicking on the message it still asks to start a download from some dubious site (as shown on attachment).

I use Firefox 60.0.2 with uBlock Origin 1.16.10 and NoScript Version 10.1.8.2.

I hope this information will be helpful in further analyzing the problem.

Best regards Hans

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
I had both message pumping up of Seawessel and Smithy 166
yesterday.
I start dowloading start away. I stopped downloading process and deleted interruped file

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
Shipspotting blocked/marked as unsafe site; again I'm getting this phony JAVA update prompt again;

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
Agree with many of the comments that the problem seems to come from ads.  What is confusing for a former Supporter is that we were supposed to be ad free if we provided support!!!??????

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
All fine if I log on from work, using Chrome. But logging on from home I am getting messages that it is a dangerous site and must download Microsoft update etc. using Firefox at home.

Online pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
Just got a new pop-up, which immediately disappeared and was replaced by a statement from my computer that I was about to download an exe programme. As the extensions said .ru I refused, went back to shipspotting and the pop-ups have disappeared. It could have caught me (or you) unaware, so not everything is safe around here.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
The address bar at the top when logged into SS says "Not secure" click on this and I get "Your connection to this site is not secure"

I get the secure "padlock" on all other sites.

Chrome on Windows 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk