Author Topic: New Maersk v/l at Odense  (Read 13515 times)

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Maersk v/l at Odense
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 12:12:42 AM »
only 6-8 weeks!? But surely they need to replace the whole superstructure, as it must be completely bent and warped....

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:58:40 AM »
According to a Danish news report yesterday, the Odense yard is now considering whether to repair the superstructure or build a new one. These are built at one of the Maersk shipyards in Estonia, and the building of a new unit takes only 4 weeks(!).

Also, unconfirmed rumours in the shipping industry says she will be named "Marchen Maersk", but this is just a rumour.

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »
Yes Mats, that's the Baltija yard. Maybe they have nearly finished the superstructure for the next vessel (hull 204), then they can just ship that to Denmark and put it on the 203....

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
It still looks from the pictures at www.112-odense.dk that most of the deckhouse is destroyed. The bridge is definitely gone, but it looks like there where fires on the lower decks as well.

How did the fire start? Was it a result of sparks from welding, or an electrical fault. or what, does anyone know (I can't read Danish!)?

Ugly ship, even without fire damage, it has to be said. Those enclosed bridges do nothing for their looks.

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »
I can read Danish. The investigation into the fire is ongoing, but they believe sparks from welding (possibly on the main deck level) may have ignited isolation or wiring in the uppermost parts of the engine room. Parts of the engine romm is damaged, but not the main engine.

The flames spread through a shaft from the main deck level and all the way to the bridge, and was fuelled by wooden scaffolding inside some parts of the superstructure.

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 09:16:35 AM »
Thanks Mats.

Offline Steffen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »
The name will be Emma m

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »
Ah, I was thinking along those lines too. Her passing was in the last Maersk Post I think....

Brgds.

Offline Christian H. Bargisen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 01:14:01 PM »
The Shipyard information flyer reports today that the top 6 decks of the deckhouse and funnel will be replaced by the same section from hull 204 in the first week of July.
Expected delivery to customer of the ship will take place ultimo august, that means a delay of approx 6 weeks.

Offline Rob W

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
Classification Society for this vessel - ABS American Bureau of Shipping) website confirms vessel name as Emma Maersk with following dimensions;

LBP: 376m (I estimate LOA at 404m)
Beam: 56.4m
Depth: 30.2m (would permit 10 containers deep within hull).
GT: 110000

Best regards

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 04:54:42 PM »
Read an article in a Dutch transport newsapaper few days ago. Renowned university professor Niko Wijnolst from Delft technical university estimates the new vessel's capacity at 13,460 TEU  :-o
Also, the article showed a photograph where they had counted the stacks and came to the conclusion that she is indeed 22 stacks wide....

Brgds.

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 05:45:28 PM »
How much bigger are these things going to get? Surely there has to be a limit to the size or they'll be too big for ports to handle? Personally I'd rather see slightly smaller, but more, ships. :-D

Offline Pedro Baptista

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.transportes-xxi.net/tmaritimo
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 09:26:24 PM »
Let it be... I like 'em big... :-D

But you're right... There must be a limit, and personally, I don't believe that they can get bigger than this, but I can be wrong...

I just think that a container vsl isn't like a tanker, where size doesn't matter [much], because a ULCC could unload to a smaller ship or to a pipeline [or however it's called] in open sea.

Don't know why, but I can't imagine the same happening to a container vsl... 8-) :-P

brgrds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk