Author Topic: The GLADIATOR (former Bulk Venture) in 1981/82  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Michael G.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
The GLADIATOR (former Bulk Venture) in 1981/82
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »
Hi guys,

Is there anyone here who would know the whereabouts of the GLADIATOR (http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2216853) (former Bulk Venture ; owner: Maruba  ; registration number: IMO 6510227 ; flag: Argentine) in 1981/1982?

I was told she crossed the ocean(s) from Australia (Fremantle or Kwinana) to Argentina (Puerto Madryn) at that time, but I'd like you to confirm and eventually give more details about those voyages.

Waiting for your answers,

Michael
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:28:56 AM by Michael G. »

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The GLADIATOR (former Bulk Venture) in 1981/82
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »
The Gladiator was scrapped the 13 August 1987 at Shanghai.

In 1977 this vessel was purchased by the argentinian company Maruba being in service until the year 1987, year in which the vessel was renamed Ocean Wise waiving the Saint Vincent flag for the voyage to Shanghai for scrapping.

Regards

Tomi.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:11:20 PM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Michael G.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »
Thank you Tomi,

Would you know more about the route she plyed? I was told she was transporting alumina from Austrlia (Fremantle or Kwinana maybe) to Puerto Madryn (Argentina) but I'd like to have this confirmed (with dates and routes for instance).

Cheers,

Michael

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 04:17:58 PM »
Michael

Following your inquiry, I contacted an Argentine friend who is also a seaman, and he informed me of the following:

"Before your inquiry, I just communicated with my friend and we came to the conclusion that her trip spanned the end of 1985 and the beginning of 1986. She remembers that the defeat was crossing the Atlantic to the East and then across the Indian Ocean to its destination in Kwinana where they stayed at anchor for a few days before taking the pier.

The return was also direct but now through the Pacific Ocean to the Fuegian channels and its destination Puerto Madryn. As an anecdotal matter, he recalls that they had to land at a place in New Zealand to disembark a crew member affected by appendicitis.

My friend clarifies that the GLADIATOR ship made several trips between Australia and Puerto Madryn, she only manned it once but those trips were at least three.-"

Regards

Tomi.

Offline Michael G.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:22:27 PM »
[quote author=Bj

Offline Michael G.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 03:20:49 PM »
Michael

Following your inquiry, I contacted an Argentine friend who is also a seaman, and he informed me of the following:

"Before your inquiry, I just communicated with my friend and we came to the conclusion that her trip spanned the end of 1985 and the beginning of 1986. She remembers that the defeat was crossing the Atlantic to the East and then across the Indian Ocean to its destination in Kwinana where they stayed at anchor for a few days before taking the pier.

The return was also direct but now through the Pacific Ocean to the Fuegian channels and its destination Puerto Madryn. As an anecdotal matter, he recalls that they had to land at a place in New Zealand to disembark a crew member affected by appendicitis.

My friend clarifies that the GLADIATOR ship made several trips between Australia and Puerto Madryn, she only manned it once but those trips were at least three.-"

Regards

Tomi.

Hi Tomi,

What an investigation !!!
In fact, everything you and your friend say reassures me a lot ...;)

Can I ask you, however, to clarify a few things, just to be perfectly in tune with my story?

For example, would you know during which months of the year was the Kwinana - Puerto Madryn part done? Was it in summer? Could you get specific dates?

About the sailor with the appendicitis (by the way, it's an anecdote that I like and could use ...), does your friend remember the New Zealand port where he disembarked?

Do you know if there were there any stopovers on the way? Could you confirm whether the Gladiator passed by the Strait of Magellan, and not the Cape Horn?

Last thing, does your friend remember how was the crew made of? (At least a little.)

I would be extremely happy if you could answer these questions.

So, I hope to read you very soon and I thank you once again for your precious help !!!

Michael
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:28:00 PM by Michael G. »

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »
Michael

Further to your comment, I can inmedeately reply the following:

The Gladiator waived the Argentine flag therefore the crew was argentine.

Second the return to Puerto Madryn was made through the Magellan Strait.

I am going to try to obtain more information about your requirements buy my friend was not embarked on this ship, however I will do my best.

Regards

Tomi.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:12:15 AM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Michael G.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 11:11:11 AM »
Thank you so much for your efforts. I can't wait for the results...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:34:16 PM by Michael G. »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk