ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Up to € 135 m for German training vessel "Gorch Fock"  (Read 1138 times)
Jens Boldt
Photo Corrections
Top Poster

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:16:14 pm »

A real bargain... Repair and modernisation of German naval training vessel "Gorch Fock" (IMO 5133644) will cost up to € 135 m according to sources of the German Ministry of Defence.

Since January 2016 the 60-year-old ship is under repair at Elsflether Werft on the Hunte river, but work on the ship was stopped by order of the Ministry of Defence in January 2018 when it became obvious that costs would be much higher than anticipated. But as € 45 m already have been spent and another € 25 m are stipulated by contract the Ministry now decided to let the work continue.

The shell plating will have to be exchanged almost completely, upper deck and tween deck will be replaced, the engine has to be overhauled...

A new building was considered, but this would have meant the loss of the already invested € 70 m. Also a new ship wouldn't have entered service until 2025(!).

Now "Gorch Fock" is scheduled to re-enter service in the first half of 2019...

(Source: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/gorch-fock-111.html)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:19:18 pm by Jens Boldt » Report to moderator   Logged

“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. After all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.”
- Dame Edna Everage

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
- Unknown
itsfoto
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:08:42 am »

Restauration GORCH FOCK € 135 m, PEKING € 26 m. I know, the comparison is not entirely fair, but stating that doesn't diminish the staggering difference of € 109 m. You can get half a ULCS for that kind of money.
Compare: BAP UNION (2015,  MMSI 760105000, Peru) estimated building costs $ 60 - 70 m.
I don't know the figure for KRI BIMA SUCI (2017, IMO 9792319, Indonesia), but I would expect that to be in a similar region.
In the end, much more interesting than the shockingly high price for the GF would be the explanation of how this could be allowed to happen. Who failed to see what? Can structural weaknesses and deterioration of a ship really stay so utterly invisible to not allow a realistic assessment of the situation before it is too late?
Uwe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:10:58 am by itsfoto » Report to moderator   Logged
Bob Scott
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »

I have never quite understood the relevance of a sailing ship for training in a modern navy. Sensibly, the Royal Navy doesn't have one.
Report to moderator   Logged
Allan RO
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:54:42 pm »

may be we should Bob, at least they would not need to be re-engined like the type 45 disasters.

Allan
Jens Boldt
Photo Corrections
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:37 pm »

Me neither, Bob, but according to the master of "Gorch Fock" the ship is "fullfilling an essential task in training new recruits". And for many officers of the German navy the ship is more than a training ship - she's identity-generating and a piece of tradition.

Uwe, isn't it in the media almost on a daily basis? Large parts of the equipment of Bundeswehr, Bundesmarine and Bundesluftwaffe are in a deplorable state. Not too long ago for example (if I remember correctly) 6 out of 6 active German submarines where under repair at the same time. In 2017 seven out of eight Airbus A400M were under repair or inspection at the same time etc. etc.

Our ministers of finance exaggerated the money saving a bit and our ministers of defence... well, I can't recall a single one who did a good job. (For example: zu Guttenberg was occupied with trying to draw the curtain over his copied dissertation; de Maiziθre was just a fill-in after Guttenberg's resignation and Mrs. von der Leyen's priority were children's day-care centres in the army...) Any more questions? Grin

“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. After all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.”
- Dame Edna Everage

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
- Unknown
pspott
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 01:38:39 pm »

Me neither, Bob, but according to the master of "Gorch Fock" the ship is "fullfilling an essential task in training new recruits". And for many officers of the German navy the ship is more than a training ship - she's identity-generating and a piece of tradition.
I agree with you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: