Author Topic: Copyright Policy Query  (Read 21794 times)

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Policy Query
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

Jurgen,you have been an asset to the Website for many years with your helpful advice and research  so please reconsider your decision to remove your Album
Kind Regards
Ken

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
@Ken,
I've sent you a PM

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
I agree with Juergen, Policy is clear.

Why not to remove this picture? If we found pictures of us on other sides without permission also actions are taken. So please keep to policy as state by Davidships.

And for Juergen. I hope you will stay on SS.

regards
Frans

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
I remember what happened shortly after I became a member here in May 2006.
I had uploaded a birds view photo from a beautiful portuguese cargo ship, of course without copyright and permission.
The finnish moderator that time, (was it Pekka Laakso or Alexi Lindstroem ?), contacted me and advised me to delete the photo immediately, but I ignored. Then he contacted me again and gave me 1 hour to delete the photo, otherwise he would suspend my account. Such warning also should be given to Gena Anfimov.

But now I hope the present Admins will take necessary action, if not I go.
I have not uploaded all my photos I made withinh the last days, I will just wait and see.

Rgds. Juergen

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »
From what I understood from the poster (and his comments to his picture of the whale catcher), copyright laws in the former Soviet Union were non-existent. (the picture was owned by the "people").
The main reason to adhere to copyright laws in my opinion is the possibility that the site can be sued for breaching these laws if photos are published without permission. No one would dare to publish any Fotoflite stuff. Given the situation in the USSR as described by the poster, the chances that the site will be sued in this case are next to zero. And if the photo in question would have to be deleted, than it is not unlikely that many other shots by the same poster would have to suffer the same fate. From the looks of it the commotion regarding this photograph has arisen because of the nature of the comments made and not specifically because of the copyright issue.

I would therefore suggest to let this sink in for a while before making any drastic decisions regarding both the deletion of the shot(s) or leaving the site.  

PS this is my own personal opinion.         

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »
Given the situation in the USSR as described by the poster...

...is not correct, we should follow our standard policy on posting content by other photographers.

You can find discussion about the Soviet copyright laws and whether or not material is considered public domain in e.g. Wikimedia Commons.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
Long, long dekades ago there was a professional photographer in Hamburg, his name was Gustav Boedecker with 100 000 or 200 000 or more photos from ships all over the world coming to Hamburg.
If you need a special ships photo, just ask Boedecker, he had a photo.
When he died in 2000 or so a bookchandler Hafenfuchs purchased all the photos including all rights from the children of Mr. Boedecker.
Many, many german websites, DDG Hansa, Chr. Biedekarken, Peter Hartung, Poseidon etc,etc. had photos from Boedecker on their webseites when Mr. Hafenfuchs started a trial against these website owners, and he won the trial because of mass copyright violation of his photos.

An extract from a forum, dated 2009 in german language, but I think Google can help to translate.
http://forum-schiff.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1463&start=110

But one special sentence:

Von den 13 betroffenen Webmastern sind 3 oder 4 nachgeblieben, der Rest hat wegen geringen Betr

Offline Gavin Rayfield

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Well said Pieter Melissen !

Offline Pekka Laakso

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »
I remember what happened shortly after I became a member here in May 2006.
I had uploaded a birds view photo from a beautiful portuguese cargo ship, of course without copyright and permission.
The finnish moderator that time, (was it Pekka Laakso or Alexi Lindstroem ?), contacted me and advised me to delete the photo immediately, but I ignored. Then he contacted me again and gave me 1 hour to delete the photo, otherwise he would suspend my account. Such warning also should be given to Gena Anfimov.

But now I hope the present Admins will take necessary action, if not I go.
I have not uploaded all my photos I made withinh the last days, I will just wait and see.

Rgds. Juergen
Hi,

During my period in the admin team I never urged anyone to remove anything in a certain time period like an hour. In the beginning before the Site Standards policy were widely established remember we had a lot of conversations regarding deletions within the team and later with Webmasters Allan Mears, Derek Sands and Ken Smith. As far as I remember. On behalf of Aleksi Lindstr
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:19:12 AM by Pekka Laakso »

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
@Pekka, I remember this action very well and I have learned my lesson.
What I do not know exactly is the name of the moderator, but this is not so very important, isn't?
Rgds. Juergen

Offline Pekka Laakso

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
@Pekka, I remember this action very well and I have learned my lesson.
What I do not know exactly is the name of the moderator, but this is not so very important, isn't?
Rgds. Juergen
It's not of course.

Rgds/Gru

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
Thank you all for maintaining pretty good "decorum" in this thread.  The matter is firmly in hand now and I hope to be able to confirm shortly that the issue has been resolved.  It would be better, I believe, if criticism - direct or implied - is not permitted to be personalised here in public forum.

I confirm that we will be applying the existing policy on copyright more comprehensively, with due regard to different circumstances, to all members.  If any of you are concerned that we may have missed something, the most helpful approach would be to email [email protected] or send me a PM.

David

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
Hi Juergen!
You already left another site and this would be too much.I know that there are too much rubbish here but your photos are top notch quality.I am also getting sick of some "quality" but it is hard to discuss about it.Please do not leave this site ! :-[

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
hey Jurgen, please keep posting. Love your photos from Kiel canal. They are those photos that one doesn't have to look who took them, just the style says who was it.
Looking forward to see more from Kiel...
Cheers, from Vancouver, from the shores of English bay anchorage :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk