Author Topic: Copyright Policy Query  (Read 21795 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Copyright Policy Query
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
Site Standards clearly say:

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Policy Query
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
Not intentionally, Bob, and some members do get reminded (and remember for a while!).

At least one member was approved some years ago to continue in general without specific ID, due to the declared circumstances in which the photographs were obtained.

If you have specific images which are causing you concern, please PM me or send details to [email protected]

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
I know copyright can be a contentious issue at times but I thought I'd share this little story.

Where I work at Napier Port, we posted a photo of a ship loading the first cargo of logs ever to leave Napier, taken in the mid 1950's. The photographer was a former employee who passed away quite some time ago and this photo was posted without permission but with acknowledgement to him

Both his daughter and son responded by saying how delighted they were to see their Father's work being used in such a away, and of course, both appreciated the fact they he was acknowledged in the post.

Strictly speaking, we probably should not have done this, but that was a case where family members perhaps recognised that it made their Father's work something that has now become a permanent historical record, rather than something kept hidden away in a box somewhere which probably would ultimately be destroyed.

It does concern me how much great material will probably never be seen because of concerns over copyright laws
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:22:39 AM by Tony des Landes »

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
Well said Tony

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Indeed.  The key point was that the photographer was acknowledged.  And no doubt if his heirs had wished to restrict use that would have been respected (leaving aside whether the copyright might have been held by the company if he took the photo as part of his job). 

Bob's concern was primarily about unattributed photos, because it is implicit in uploading photos here that the image is the member's own work, unless it states otherwise.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
Yes fully agree with that David :)

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 05:35:39 AM »
I have decided to delete all my 6000 photos in the next days and leave the community.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2838899#comments

@ miraflores

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
Thats a great shame Juergen

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
I am not planning to quit - yet - but I am somewhat concerned about the apparent "laissez faire/anything goes" approach of the current admin team. This site was supposed to be about members' own photographs -not those trawled from miscellaneous sources and flea markets.
If the site standards are not to be adhered to, change them! Otherwise there is no point in having rules.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
Has somebody said something? I have been surprised at times to find the site does not have some I would have thought longstanding fleetmembers, and wonder about their absence. Is it because of site policies, we have already heard from Tony how family members are quite happy to see postings of their ancestors pics so are our rules onerous. Can't imagine that the FBI or Scotland Yard, even Fiji 5-0, going to raid us for posting pics that don't meet copyright, as afterall they are only being displayed, not sold for great profit.
The internet has devalued the once premium the majority of photoes have commanded yet they are still good enough to be posted for international appreciation through the likes of the shipspotting site.
The Russian postings are great, and from my perspective postings of old British ships are appreciated but we still have some to see that could be addressed in posting old photoes, am sure the original photographers who didn't want their work posted would have made provisions for them to remain hidden away.
I hope miraflores changes his mind and there is a satisfactory pathway for images of the ships of yesteryear to be included in the shipspotting community.
Cheers
Brent

Clydee

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
Juergen. please do not leave the site.  It needs your skill in identifying unknown ships as well as your excellent photographs

Both the Webmasters are away this weekend.  I am sure they will wish to contact you

Clyde

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »
Back now - thanks Clyde.  Just to note for the moment that J

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
@Clyde, I have nothing against old, historic photos, but the copyright or explicit permission to upload must be clear.
Rgds. Juergen

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
@J

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
Jurgen , I would also like you not to leave the site , as your photos and also your input would be greatly missed
I

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk