Author Topic: Notification when photo edited/moved?  (Read 4257 times)

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
Notification when photo edited/moved?
« on: March 02, 2018, 08:58:22 PM »
Hi All,

Would it be possible for a notification to be sent to members when their photograph is edited/moved (to be considered for deletion, for example)? At present the only way I can figure out of keeping an eye on things is to frequently check "My photos".

Additionally, could we have a proper "incorrect password" page? Or alternatively remove it altogether and follow the same lead as other sites (return to the login screen with a "username/password incorrect" prompt)... Just seems a bit more secure. :)
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Notification when photo edited/moved?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
As far as I know there is a message sent in case a photo is removed / deleted.
Being a photo-correction-editor myself: sending also a message in case of editing a photo is a lot of extra work. There are days that I correct 50+ names, IMO, categories, etc. !
A lot of "mistakes" can be corrected by the members by them self by using the button "this ship" after posting, errors in names or IMO or category are seen that way within seconds.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
Agree with Pieter,,no need for notification, I am glad they doing it !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:05:12 AM »
I had two photographs marked for deletion recently (ended up removing them myself). I received no notification for either - As both deletions were going to be for "similar angle to XXX" It'd be nice if I knew without having to refresh "my photos" every five minutes that were was an issue, if only so I could get a bit of notice so I could choose which photograph I wanted to keep on the site, and which I wanted to remove.

I'm not saying it has to create any extra work for the editors - I'm sure the webmaster could write a simple script that'd automatically send a "Your photo of XXX IMO XXX was moved from XXX to XXX by XXX" email/PM to the effected member... The same could be done for an edit (XXX edited the description of your photograph of XXX, located at shipspotting.com/XXX. To view the change(s) click here XXX)

To be clear - I'm not complaining (or attempting to complain) about the fact both pictures were flagged. The angles were indeed similar.

Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »
I can see the attraction of receiving a "warning" email, but I doubt whether it is achievable.  Nevertheless, I will draw IT's attention to this.

In practical terms, whenever a photo is deleted for "similar angle/aspect", or where too many have been uploaded, it is always open to members to "swap" the images around provided those on site remain acceptable photos in accordance with site standards.

DAvid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk