Author Topic: Cheapskate shipowner looking for free photos  (Read 16991 times)

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapskate shipowner looking for free photos
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »
Coincidentally, while doing a bit of factual research prior to posting a further photograph here,  I came across a P&O fan website and discovered an unauthorised copy of my Shipspotting picture of the Oriana.  I was not best pleased.  I have refreshed my view on photo copyrights and came across this document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/481194/c-notice-201401.pdf

Interestingly, in your case, it refers to the copyright of photos of copyrighted objects. An example given was a photo of an art gallery where many copyrighted objects would be on display. In that regard, the photo of the copyrighted objects is seen as being incidental to the photograph and not subject to those copyrights. So it could be suggested that unless a photo of a ship focused specifically on the name or livery but instead related to the form of the ship and its environment, the copyrighted aspects of the vessel were incidental to the photograph and did not apply.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 03:07:45 AM »
After referring to the relevant copyright legislation to point out that my photos were not infringing their rights, the cruise line has backed off on the legal threats and simply made a substantially larger offer to obtain my images.

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
Brilliant! Well done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk