Author Topic: Legend of the Seas  (Read 2324 times)

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Legend of the Seas
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:43:29 PM »
Legend of the Seas, cruising from Southampton 20th May, was unable to tender passengers in St Peter Port, (Guernsey)due to bad weather. The following day, she was also unable to dock in La Rochelle. She finally reached Vigo after 3 days of 'rough' weather. She reamained there for 24 hours before returning back to Guernsey, then Southampton. Some passengers were very angry, but 'calmed down' when 50% compensation was mentioned.
As a passenger on Legend of the Seas at the time, and been out in 'bad weather' before, I, along with my wife, wonder what the complaining passengers would say if we had been in really bad weather. 8-)
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of the Seas
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:47 AM »
It seems that the cruise lines' nearly uniform campaign to promote cruise ships as huge luxury hotels that just happen to be on water and move around comes back to bite them sometimes.  Many (most?) passengers are totaly clueless about the sea, thinking, as the marketing types must want them to think, that everything is under control, the sea will always be flat around the ship, and nothing could possibly interfere with the schedule.  I've even heard that crew are instructed to not "confuse the guests" with "jargon" like bow, stern, port, and starboard.  When reality intrudes, many react with anger against the company, blaming it for the less than perfect conditions... because, in their minds, they were led to believe that everything would be perfect.

It appears that exectives at some point decided that being candid about the reality of a sea voyage would limit their potential market.  Selling a cruise as merely a stay at a wonderful moveable luxury hotel increases sales, but brings the consequence of the company's being blamed if anything detracts from the quality of the experience.  I'm sure the photos of the Carnival ships pitching through heavy seas as they fled Rita last year (pictures which I found reassuring, showing their ability to handle truly rough weather) will never be featured in a company brochure.
Best,

Charles

Offline Lanaud

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:18:41 AM »
I agree with your post. Some believe the sea is always as calm as land.  Nothing is garanteed on the seas. Angers me to think they'd blame the company. Maybe it was a good excuse to get a rebate. Not really passenger fault though. As you say, many think they'll be as safe or as stable as staying in a land hotel. I took a cruise and we had rough seas a coupla times. Kinda fun for those who knew what it was, you could see it on their faces. Others were terrified that the ship pitched and rolled ever so lightly.

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:39:25 PM »
As you say, Charmctug, pictures of cruise ships in brochures are NOT shown of them in bad weather.
The thing is that people DO NOT realise that ships are at the mercy of the sea. The Captain of the Legend of the Seas was excellent throughout thr cruise and the ship was never in any trouble. My wife and I couldn't help but laugh at the complaining passengers. We remember being in a hurricane on board QE2 in 2002. There wasn't one complaint then
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:34:08 AM »
The trouble is, these days, people will complain about anything and they will also shout lawsuit at the drop of a hat. The general public, including the British (which is somewhat surprising given our maritime heritage and the fact we are an island nation), are woefully ignorant about the sea and ships and when things go wrong - as they will do in any form of transport - they complain and instigate litigation.

Yes, they've paid good money for a cruise but more often than not the compensation offered, which usually includes a free or greatly discounted cruise, is generous.

There's another word for it - mutiny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk