Author Topic: Spotting in Zeebrugge  (Read 8682 times)

Offline Somerset_John

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Spotting in Zeebrugge
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone have any information on ship spotting in Zeebrugge please? I will be using public transport and wonder if there are places to look into the docks as well as ships entering/departing.
Thanks
John

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Spotting in Zeebrugge
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
I have been to Zeebrugge several times and it was fun in the periode that there were no fences everywhere. Because like in every port in the world it is now all fenced up. It is possible to go by car to the P&O ferry terminal but all you see is the ferry behind a fence. Behind the locks there is a large industrial area with quays but again all closed for sightseeing and long distances to drive, forget to walk it. Zeebrugge is mainly a ro/ro-port: a few ro/ro

Offline Somerset_John

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
Many thanks for this.
John

Offline JVCMACGM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
There is a circular observation platform at the end of the Paardenmarkstraat, near the "Visserskruis" (a stone cross dedicated to the dead fishermen).  From this platform you can see a part of the terminal container + tugs.

Another ("official") spot is on Kustlaan, near the mobile bridge and the end of Zweedse kaai.  From the roof of a red container, you can see the arriving ships and the Vandamme lock.

The distance between the 2 spots is +/- 2 kms.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »
When in Zeebrugge I am by car, and with a gentleman who cannot walk very far, and we are particularly interested in tugs and smaller vessels.  Also I am not familiar with how much flexibility public transport allows (or doesn't allow, taking Pieter's comment).  Also it depends on what kind of shipping you are interested in.  

I have annotated the attached map with the areas I typically visit.  The two viewpoints mentioned by JVCMACGM have arrows (there are no "facilities" at either).  The area inside the main lock is good for car carriers etc on the move or at the nearer berths, depending on the time of day, but would be beyond normal walking distance.  The current fish dock and small shiprepair berths (lower centre) are also accessible.  Otherwise the old fishing dock is now mostly a marina, though some smaller windfarm and survey boats berth on the south side (but almost always have yacht in the way from across the dock).

However, though I have not tried it, the saving grace may well be the Franlis harbour round-trip of 75mins, running from April to October:
http://www.franlis.be/port-tour/practical

[later] forgot to mention that for some strange reason there are big gaps in Streetview there are big gaps in the coverage, even around the older residential areas nearer to the port basins
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:06:57 AM by davidships »

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:58:39 AM »
Would like to add about public transport: there is a tramway all along the Belgian coast from French border up to nearly Netherlands border. At Zeebrugge is follows the road N34, in the city itself along N34a. Name is "kusttram". Dayticket 8 Euro, see: https://www.delijn.be/en/kusttram/?vertaling=true

Offline Somerset_John

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied to me. VERY helpful.
John

Clydee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
I agree John.  That is very helpful information for visitors to Zeebrugge.

To keep the information readily available to those who missed this Forum, or forget about it, I hope someone will prepare a Shipspotting Locations upload.

Don't forget, as the Site Standard says "IN THE DESCRIPTION, STATE DIRECTIONS TO THE CAMERA LOCATION AREA
use the words you would tell a friend. "

For full information go to Category Standards and Guidance for Shipspotting Locations, reached from the Support tab on the Home Page see http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipspotting%20Locations

Offline pspott

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
I agree John.  That is very helpful information for visitors to Zeebrugge.

To keep the information readily available to those who missed this Forum, or forget about it, I hope someone will prepare a Shipspotting Locations upload.

Don't forget, as the Site Standard says "IN THE DESCRIPTION, STATE DIRECTIONS TO THE CAMERA LOCATION AREA
use the words you would tell a friend. "

For full information go to Category Standards and Guidance for Shipspotting Locations, reached from the Support tab on the Home Page see http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipspotting%20Locations
thanks for the info

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk