Author Topic: This is why huge plumes of black smoke were seen over Liverpool this morning  (Read 7767 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
And why Southampton is classed as one of the most polluted cities in the country. Ships generators running 24/7 as there is no dockside power. Who gets the blame and penalties... the motorist.

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Do you really think that ships generators running 24/7 cause more pollution than all the vehicles around the city? I doubt it somehow!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:54:21 PM by Fergal Clohessy »

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Research has shown that the 15 biggest ships produce more sulphur oxide pollutants than ALL the 960 million cars in the world. Too many independent surveys carried out to include here but see asexample http://www.airclim.org/air-pollution-ships . Whereas land based emissions are being decreased year on year the shipping trend is going in the opposite direction. With a constant flow of cruise ships at Southampton, on occasions 5 a day, and average of 3 container ships this independent report highlights the problem  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/pollution-cruise-ships-po-oceana-higher-piccadilly-circus-channel-4-dispatches-a7821911.html . Pollution on deck of cruise ship is higher than that of Shanghai or Delhi. Per day one cruise ship emits as much particulate matter as a million cars. So 30 cruise ships pollute as much as all the cars in the United Kingdom.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
absolutely right Chas, and with the prevailing westerly winds it all gets blown over Soton City Centre - but as you say, its the poor motorist who picks up the tab.   But I have to say unphased traffic light don't help either.

Allan

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
I still dont think that ships generators using clean diesel can pollute more than all the cars in the city.
Dockside power would allow them to switch off the diesel generators but it will do little for a ship burning HFO to power its engines

Offline NeilB

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
With very few exceptions, ships berthed in EU ports are not allowed to use their HFO engines in port, it is only permitted to use ultra low sulphur diesel for power generation.

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
Ships using quite some power. Specially for pomps, refigeration etc.
This will influence the power dement on the shore, behaps becomes the shore power even unstable.
Also most ships using 60 Hz grit. In my county, The Netherlands 50Hz is normal.

Then there is the diffence between the European and US voltage 220-230V and 110V.

The problem is more complex. Major issues first have to be solved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk