Author Topic: Listing sisterships built for any given ship  (Read 7152 times)

Offline Adrian Hagen

• Supporter
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
Listing sisterships built for any given ship
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:06:52 AM »
Using the MIRAMAX database, I am trying to link a list of sisterships built along with any ship picture for which I've downloaded from the internet (don't worry, they are only for my use on my computer) - largely from SHIPSPOTTING site.

Wondering if anyone else has attempted this?

A CD of the MIRAMAX database is what I'm using - by carefully sorting LBP, shipyard links, names of ships which would be common to a ship line, the date of build, yard number, etc., etc.

Sometimes it is guesswork - and often MIRAMAX has a data field for "design", which obviously is very helpful.

Anyway, it is fun, but challenging!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Listing sisterships built for any given ship
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
I suppose it is MiramaR that you are using?

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
Hi Adrian,
If you're looking for containerships containershipregister.nl is a very good website which lists sister-ships to any particular vessel.
Another (very good) option is the app Ship Info which also lists sister-ships (all kind of vessels).
Cheers,
Roy

Offline Arnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
I noticed that you also check shipyard-lists. That does not always help, as sisterships sometimes are built at different yards, even in different countries

Offline OceanCraft

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oceancraft.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
The only way to do it is to create your own database.  My Company embarked on the project over five years ago and we have, to date, identified 20781 different ship classes, so it is going to take you some time.  The key to the database is to determine a unique Ship Class identifier.  To each Ship Class we 'attach' the different Hulls identified by the yard number, or the IMO number, or both.  To each Hull we 'attach' the different names and change dates.  The database structure is not complex and must be kept simple for ease of use.

The question you need to ask yourself before you start is: what consitutes a Ship Class?  For our purposes we determined that a class is defined by the hull dimensions and shape and not by the position or extent of any superstructure.  Take as an example, the containerships built for the SAECS (Europe-South Africa) service in 1977.  The class comprises ten ships, which were built in seven different shipyards, and resulted in five different upperdeck and superstructure arrangements.  The key to their classification as a single Ship Class is that they all have the same hull shape and dimensions (designed by Ernst Vossnack, Chief Naval Architect of Nedlloyd).  Other types of ship such as car Carriers are difficult to classify.  Many have the same dimensions and it can be difficult to determine the different hull shapes.  Again you need to develop your own rules and techniques over time.  One key breakthough for us was to strip the last digit (the check digit) off the IMO number and you can then clearly see the sequence of IMO numbers; we are now filling in any gaps.

Please let us know if you require any further information and best wishes for your endeavour.

Offline Adrian Hagen

• Supporter
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 05:08:31 AM »
Thanks all for your responses.  I bought the MIRAMAX cd that they sell, and converted it to an Excel file.  I'm only looking at break-bulkers built between 1950 to 1980 (mostly because I think they are better looking).  I ended up with about 9000 ships in that filtered list - I don't know if I live long enough to parse them all!  But the better looking ones, with large clear photos, I put in a FileMaker database.  Along with the photos, I always include the metadata given with each image, and its internet address.  Another tweak I do is photoshopping some images (to suit my taste), such as adjusting color, brightness, opening up shadow areas, and sharpening.

Offline Adrian Hagen

• Supporter
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:13 AM »
I noticed that you also check shipyard-lists. That does not always help, as sisterships sometimes are built at different yards, even in different countries

Yes, I realize that - and it creates more of a puzzle and adds uncertainties.  To start with, I sort the MIRAMAX data by LBP, and then look at tonnages (dwt and gross) that are the same or very close.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk