Author Topic: Emerald Star lost in Pacific - 11 crew missing  (Read 10588 times)

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Emerald Star lost in Pacific - 11 crew missing
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
do we know her imo number please

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »
I think it's 9449261

Rgds. Juergen

Offline Trygve Eriksen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »
Hong Kong flagged bulk carrier "Emerald Star",  built 2010,  57.367 t S DW, DIM: 190 x 32,26 meters,  IMO  9449261 and MMSI  477982700, seems to be the tragic ship in this case.

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:41:08 PM »
Thanks for details
Any idea is she in ballast or loaded?
In marinetraffic eta China 16/10

Tks n rgds

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:21:17 AM »
"The cargo on board was nickel ore and it is easily liquefied," a shipbroker source said.

https://www.platts.com/latest-news/shipping/singapore/dry-bulk-supramax-vessel-with-nickel-ore-on-board-27879099

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »
"The cargo on board was nickel ore and it is easily liquefied," a shipbroker source said.

https://www.platts.com/latest-news/shipping/singapore/dry-bulk-supramax-vessel-with-nickel-ore-on-board-27879099

thanks Mr Juergen
I guess it is before i posted

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
Those nickel and iron ore cargoes areextremely dangerous. They if too wet , starting liquifiying, which means that the water in the cargo rises to the top and build on top a layer of "sludge" cargo. When the vessel starts
rolling the sludge stays on the side to which it rolls and does not come back and gives the veesel a list. This list increases which virtually each more roll and finally capsizing the vessel.
In those countries the cargo is stored in the open and with ever rain the cargo sucks up more water. There is usually delivered to the vessel at the beginning of loading a certificate which shows the MCL (Moist Content Level) of the cargo, However often those are updated seldom or just by signatures and not real surveys. If one loads, one has to check the cargo from ships side and the easiest way is via a tin-can test. On use a simple empy tin can, ,fills in cargo, shakes it vigriously and sets it down on a quite, flat surface. Whithhin a short time frame on top will build a water film. If that happens the cargo is oo wet.  This test should be done by the ships crew very hour when they loading.  Very often it is not done. Alsi NEVER-EVER trust the crtificates coming from shore about the MCL. I dare to say that in 8-10 cases the certificates are fake or incorrect.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:01:29 AM »
Yes, as Master you have right to refuse the cargo loaded onto vsl
Sometimes black on white incorrect despite that is legal, so shipowner or charterer think other

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
wasn't in last 2 years that a fleet of these super bulkers were breaking in the middle and a few sippers in south America refused to ship on these ships till they were rebuilt/repaired . these were new built ships
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »
@Trucker,, I think you mean the 500.000 tons bulkers of VALE,which hauling iron ore to China and one of them had a problem and then all the others were re-surveyed
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »

is there any influence age of ship?
main are cargoes, i think

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
@ Husni,,, The age of the ship, if she was always good maintained/surveyed/repaired should not have big impact on the situation with cargoes like that. Older ships have one advantage even,,they are often stronger builded as newer ships

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:40:54 PM »
Capt,
Understood.And correct.I have experience fm MV Getwin IMO 8025135.old ship but still in service last time.old ship and age same with me.Master always need also good trimming in every holds  to avoid cargo rolling
Thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk