Author Topic: Shipspotting or post anything what does not float anymore  (Read 13738 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Shipspotting or post anything what does not float anymore
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
I know that nobody cares anymore on this site,,for sure not the owners,,but what is this,,shipspotter,, or post anything what does not float anymore ?
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting or post anything what does not float anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
On my screen, all the pictures show ships which are floating. Except for the ones in drydock.

Offline John van Zijderveld

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Johns scheepvaart foto's
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:57 PM »
As Pennywise said, they all float ;D

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
Perhaps Capt Ted refers to "oldies" that have long gone to the scrapyard or newer ships that are in the scrapyard or have become casualties?

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
I understand that Captain Ted refers to all types of vessels that are no longer operational or scrapped, whether new or oldies.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
The implication of the question is that you can only post shots of ships that are still afloat. This measn that I have to keep track of my collection in the sense that when a certain is being reported as gone for scrap I cannot post it anymore.

In essence: Every ships on each photo was spotted at least once by somebody. Does it matter that the ship no longer exist? Or even does it matter that the photographer is no longer with us?

And BTW Captain Ted, I do care about the site, but I am not a shipowner. If shipowners want photo's of their vessels they mostly hire a professional photographer anyway, or get pictures from the shipyard for instance taken during trials.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
Got to say I find this a very odd post from Captain Ted. Every ship has at some time floated, and virtually every ships at some point cease to float, and either sink or be scrapped. The very fact that a ship has been photographed means that it has been "spotted", and, therefore, qualifies to be on this site. How on earth does he think the site can be managed if someone has to be constantly updating it, and removing all the photographs of ships that become casualties, or are scrapped????

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
Interesting comments and replies,,that was the wanted effect.
Just wanted to state that seemingly more and more ships are posted which are pictures taken not by the poster but taken out of public domains and rather old, like from the 70s and earlier. Also when those ships "sure were spotted" at some time, I don,t think that that is the purpose of this website. I am now since 20 July 17 on vacation and sign in almost daily and the majority of ships I see are old ships  Perhaps as someone mentioned before they should be posted on sites like shipsnostalgia.
Just as side info,,I have at least 5-6000 pictures of ships all taken withhin the last 2-3 years by myself but don,t see any reason anymore to upload them here as here new ships pictures are virtually ignored by the majority of the members and seemingly not wanted , in other words the direction of this site changed from posting ships spotted rather recently to posting ships which are long time history and not necessarily taken by the poster.
Just saying.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
I for one enjoy seeing the postings of older vessels, and considering the number of times they appear as the most viewed postings for the day, others would have similar thoughts.

I really think this is a non issue

Regards

Tony d

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »
Captain Ted,while I do agree that some old shots were not taken by the uploaders, there are some really old photographers around here, that did take pictures in the seventies and the sixties even. When they were shooting a site like was not even dreamt of, so they now finally have a chance to show them. And the effort to transform them in a digital format is not a small one, so I actually think we should be grateful that people go into that effort, rather than complaining that there are so many old shots on this site.

As far as Shipnostalgia is concerned, one of the great setbacks of that site is the small maximum size of pictures that can be posted. And BTW is you go to SN, you will find that a lot of photo's there were taken very recently.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:51:33 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline PWR

• Supporter
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »
I have 11812 photos on this site mostly taken by Charlie Hill (by his request) taken from the 50s onward when ships looked like ships    Cheers

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
 Oi! Pieter. Who are you calling a "really old" photographer? LOL  ;D

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
Oi! Pieter. Who are you calling a "really old" photographer? LOL  ;D

Bob, Ken Smith....

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
I still see plenty of variation and even if I'm not that old myself (40), I like to see both new AND old ships, as I still recall seeing the ships built in the 50s-70s myself when they were active. Having said that, the first category that I look at on the site is always "Ships under construction", but that I also from a professional point of view.

Brgds.
Ralph

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
Capt. Ted: If you prefer to see pics of "boring box-boats and bulkers" (I said that just for the alliteration, with all the 'b's), that is your prerogative but I like to mix the old and the new - to keep up with the trends as well to hark back to the past. I do, however, take your point about the pics of long-dead photographers that have been trawled from public-domain library sites.  I don't think that was an aim of the site when it was established. But that's just my own view.
Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk