ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advanced Search  (Read 1149 times)
miraflores
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:14:40 am »

I have searched yesterday for a ship / for ships "General cargo built from 1970 until 1979, over 3000 GT, Argentina flag

There was no result. But as I see now there are at least 8 photos uploaded in SS.

So why I had no result?

Rgds. Juergen
Report to moderator   Logged
Phil English
Photo Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:24:03 am »

Although it's an option within the search box, I don't understand how the shipspotting system could correctly pull vessels out by flag, unless it's using the old Grosstonnage.com data. How would it know what the flag was when the photo was taken? Ships have many flags throughout a lifespan, so even if it is using the Grosstonnage data, it's going to generate their last known flag.

Brgds
Phil

miraflores
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:38:05 am »

So, if I understand correct, is the Advanced search rubbish and useless?
Juergen
Phil English
Photo Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50:11 am »

It depends what you're searching for. I wouldn't use it in relation to flag, but I've found it useful when searching for specific ship types in specific locations, as that information is held within the shipspotting database (Provided members have entered it correctly..)

Brgds
Phil

davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »

As Phil says, this part of the Advanced Search can never have produced what it implies it would and is indeed based on the defunct grosstonnage.com database.  It will produce ships using the last grosstonnage data that it has, whether or not it was correct at the time, and of course ignoring anything that has happened since it closed down.

So yes, Jürgen, the 'Administrative' section are "next to useless" for the kind of search you were making - and always has been.

However the Advanced Search is "more than useful" for searches using the other sections (though the lack of comprehensive location data is a limiting factor).

And no, I do not know why the requests to remove the misleading links and references to grosstonnage.com have gone unanswered.  I see that the domain is now available at a mere €1499!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: