Author Topic: Great Britain are to build new 5 type 26 frigates to replace type 23's.  (Read 7399 times)

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Great Britain are to build new 5 type 26 frigates to replace type 23's.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
That article is somewhat confusing. The correct story is as follows: Eight Type 26s have already been ordered, the new package is about five Type 31s to replace the other five Type 23s that hadn't been accounted for yet: http://navaltoday.com/2017/09/08/uk-mod-announces-plans-for-royal-navys-t31e-frigates/

Offline Deano C125

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Deano C's Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
At a cut price aswell.  It's time we started making our own things again instead of importing it from the Far East.

I believe Gcaptain tried to be the first to get the story out before all the information was there.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
To date, the RN has always built the major surface combatants in the UK. Only the support ships have been built elsewhere (and then only with the most recent batch of four TIDE tankers if I'm not mistaken). Besides, building those tankers in Korea meant the RFA could get four of them instead of two or three of them when built in UK (although no UK yards tendered for the order).

I do support your general line of thinking though. Naval ships should be built in one's own country whenever possible.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »
We see this quite often "no UK yards tendered". Fincantieri and Cammell Laird came together in a joint venture with an offer to build the ships at Birkenhead and Peter Luff MP showed his ignorance by claiming "we don't build tankers in the UK" and tell the Fincantieri/Lairds JV to sod off, we are not listening. I wonder if this idiot ever thought who had built all the RFA vessels up to that time? So, the reason no UK yards tendered was because they were told not to as a S. Korean yard was given "preferred bidder" status before the process began.
By the way, when the current defence idiot, Michael Fallon, made the announcement on the BBC on 6th September, he stated "we need to build ships for export. We haven't built a ship for export for 40 years". Really?

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
Another small correction is that 8 T26 have most certainly not been ordered, only 3 have.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
I suppose that the right way to describe it is that, for the Type 26:
  • procurement of eight has been announced
  • orders for the first three have been placed

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 05:51:08 AM »
Indeed. In exactly the same way that twelve Type 45 destroyers were announced and of course thirteen Type 26 frigates were announced.....

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »
Regarding the Tide's, I hear that one British yard is doing well out of them with the lead vessel having extensive pipe and wiring work done at Falmouth even before doing a day's work. Most likely blowing the budget again and then late as well, isn't that typical of contracting in any field these days.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Regarding the Tide's, I hear that one British yard is doing well out of them with the lead vessel having extensive pipe and wiring work done at Falmouth even before doing a day's work. Most likely blowing the budget again and then late as well, isn't that typical of contracting in any field these days.

LOL why am I not surprised. Aren't these ships late as well? The copy for the Norwegians (MAUD) certainly is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk