Author Topic: Why the Maersk Battler lost the tow of the 2 PSV's heading for scrap.  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Deano C125

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Deano C's Youtube channel
The Maersk Searcher and Maersk Shipper had been prepared to be scrapped when soon after while on tow a major incident occurred.  In the build up to the sinking of the PSV's the planner was made redundant as Maersk were doing a sweep of redundancies across the board but never thought it would have such serious consequences. A trainee was but on the job but his inexperience showed when the plan headed for rough seas. http://maritime-executive.com/article/repeated-collisions-led-to-maersk-psv-sinkings
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:29:01 PM by deano c125 »

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Maersk Battler lost the tow of the 2 PSV's heading for scrap.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
Interesting to read that they have lost the towed ships to use not adequate materials in order to save a few thousands euros, and if the foundering was to be "performed" to reduce the recycle costs?

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
Interesting to read that they have lost the towed ships to use not adequate materials in order to save a few thousands euros, and if the foundering was to be "performed" to reduce the recycle costs?

The ships had already been sold to the scrapyard which was expecting to make profit out of the scrapping. Nothing would have been gained from sinking them intentionally.

Offline Marc

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
What a shame!

Maersk doesn't really care about the environment! In order to save some small money they've send their retired vessels badly secured the long and stormy way to the breakers in winter. This time they've fouled the sea with their sunken ships (waste oil, sludge, fuel, ...), sometimes they overload their ships with 10 high stacked containers and loose lot of them in stormy seas. None of their (many) containership newbuildings is equiped with enviroment friendly LNG propulsion like other companies do (i.e. TOTE, Finnish company 'Containerships', CMA CGM ...)

The company Maersk wants to be the leading company but they fail regarding environment.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
None of their (many) containership newbuildings is equiped with enviroment friendly LNG propulsion like other companies do (i.e. TOTE, Finnish company 'Containerships', CMA CGM ...)

How many LNG-powered container ships are in service or under construction?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »
Of the newbuilding projects listed, I think that only the TOTE ones are in service using lng.
The MOL ships are prepared for possible retrofit in the future; CMA-CGM have got no further than a letter-of-intent; the Containerships quartet will be delivered next year.

Also existing ships like WES AMELIE have been converted:
http://www.ngvglobal.com/blog/wes-amelie-successfully-converted-lng-operation-0825

Which existing ships like WES AMELIE have been converted?  The report says that WES AMELIE is the first and she has only just returned to service (last I heard she is chartered to....er.... Maersk).

Offline Marc

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Of the newbuilding projects listed, I think that only the TOTE ones are in service using lng.
The MOL ships are prepared for possible retrofit in the future; CMA-CGM have got no further than a letter-of-intent; the Containerships quartet will be delivered next year.

Also existing ships like WES AMELIE have been converted:
http://www.ngvglobal.com/blog/wes-amelie-successfully-converted-lng-operation-0825

Which existing ships like WES AMELIE have been converted?  The report says that WES AMELIE is the first and she has only just returned to service (last I heard she is chartered to....er.... Maersk).

Congratulations, you've found the needle in the haystack.
One of more than over 600 ships being owned or controlled by Maersk is environment friendly. A quantity of ~0,16 % is really mighty.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
Marc,

I presume you are a member of Greenpeace or some other environmental lobby group. Whilst you are entitled to post here should you wish, perhaps your musings would be better appreciated on a more appropriate forum, leaving the rest of us to enjoy this wonderful hobby site.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:49:30 PM by Phil English »

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »
I'm also getting the impression that there is some hidden agenda behind this bashing.  Maersk is not the only big shipping company that has not started a wide-scale transition to LNG. I'm pretty sure their next set of newbuildings will be at least LNG ready. There are still issues such as lack of infrastructure when it comes to gas fuels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk