Author Topic: Last weekend's Maritime Ipswich event a success.  (Read 1767 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Last weekend's Maritime Ipswich event a success.
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
The ABP Port of Ipswich staged its regular "Maritime Ipswich" event last weekend, and latest reports say that Ipswich Borough Council is considering making the event annual. They originally announced in 2016 that the festival would be held every two years, with a smaller Waterfront Festival taking place in between.

The 2017 event attracted over 60,000 visitors, but many said there were too many food stalls, and not sufficient maritime attractions. Vessels attending were 2 historic tugs, Kent & Touchstone, steamer VIC 96, and 4 sailing barges, all of which were open to the public.

You can get a look at the vessels alongside and under way via this Shipping TV Youtube playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGpLOh2lZwxse71DS4LTx54ZplWAvIy0g
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline coasterwatcher

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Last weekend's Maritime Ipswich event a success.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
This event has a chequered history - with very little of maritime interest. Five years ago there was a very unpleasant incident when two gentlemen staffing the Merchant Navy Association stall were treated abysmally by a council official. On their stall they had a bucket in which customers could place loose change following purchases. A council official claimed that that they needed a licence for such a "charity collection". Legally that was not a charity collection but the council official nevertheless created a very unpleasant scene - and even came the next day with a team of heavy-handed security personnel. All much to the embarrassment of the festival organiser.

I certainly expressed my thoughts to the leader of the Borough Council and requested a formal investigation.

Incidentally the 2017 festival was not staged by ABP Port of Ipswich but by Ipswich Borough Council with ABP as partners.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk