Author Topic: US Navy destroyer collides with oil tanker off Singapore  (Read 14226 times)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
US Navy destroyer collides with oil tanker off Singapore
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:18:24 AM »
USS McCain DDG56 collides with oil tanker off Singapore.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40995829

Seriously, what is wrong with them?

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: US Navy destroyer collides with oil tanker off Singapore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »
Well what can I say..., they are (US) Navy vessels.....

Cheers,
Roy

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:59:33 AM »
Some american believe that the whole wide world belong to them and act accordingly...

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:59 AM »
Operator of "ALNIC MC", chemical tanker involved in this collision: Stealth Maritime Corporation S.A.

OK, I get it now.

(Not a laughing matter, but I had to, sorry.)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:34:22 AM »
Sadly, there are reports that 10 US sailors are missing.

Offline Homer

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Ships
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »
Without further details it is pure speculation on who is to blame here. You always need two to tango ......

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Another destroyer, what is happening with US Navy personnel? It can be seen very clearly the bulb of the tank ship on the shelplating of the destroyer.

Regards

Tomi.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:13:58 PM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
No offence to posters above,,,
Look at the shape of the impact. From port aft quarter,,which means the tanker came from there and was
by that the overtaker and therefore the give-way-vessel.
Why a Navy vessel however can not avoid things like that as she has power at moments notice from their
engines and could maneuver "rather" quick,,that is for me a riddle.
btw,, do you guys really thing that the Chinese or UK or AUS or whatever Navy do not think that they own the oceans,,, if so,,then you never been with a Navy ship of any nation on a VHF and talking with them !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Homer

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Ships
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:42:02 AM »
@ Captain Ted : 1+

Offline Michal-S

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
Back in early 90-ties of past century:

sunny morning in the open Caribbean Sea (not USA territorial waters), USCG cutter crossing from port to starboard at high speed, calling:

-(my ship's name), this is USCG....., request you give me a way!

Being young, and naive, watch officer back then I tried to hint USCG opposite on COLREGS but the reply was:

and again:

Well, I gave up and initiated slow 360 degrees turn to starboard to avoid collision (not close quarters because our CPA was "zero"). Needless to say that I had my master on my back in 2 minutes, lecturing me about watchkeeping, lookout and COLREGS...

Offline Fletcher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://cdx
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
Regardless of who is at fault on this occasion the US navy has had several serious collisions in the past two years so either the bridge personnel are incompetent or they must not think COLREGS apply to them. Fat too many incidents for it to be a coincidance..
Fletcher

Offline Michal-S

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »
Noticed, in TV news-shots and pictures that after collision the destroyer displayed "vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre" (ball-diamond-ball) signal under her port-side yard-arm.
Considering COLREG definition:
(g) The term 'vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre' means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and therefore is unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.
I am not sure that was appropriate at the moment. She was rather a 'not under command' then.
It is often mistaken, even by some merchant navy officers even though they posses much more practical sea experience than their military counterparts.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
@ Michael-S,, you are correct on that one, she should have set NUK signals. But as you mentioned most
peoples mixing that one with "restricted" rules and having problems to keep them apart.
General Navy ships are in those cases the worst.  But I think it has nothing to do with ,as often implied the mention of arrogance special US-Navy, but more the way they learn it. All Navies in general having the problem that they overly trained to stick to the rules, but that means also that they are totally set in that "to be overly correct" pattern and do not see (or can,t see) that they sound arrogant or incompetent.  One has to keep in mind that rank by rank on a bridge, it would be extreme hard for a lower rank to tell a higher rank,, Hey you screwing up, because if wrong, the future will have a few bumps ahead !!!   
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:03 AM »

...  One has to keep in mind that rank by rank on a bridge, it would be extreme hard for a lower rank to tell a higher rank,, Hey you screwing up, because if wrong, the future will have a few bumps ahead !!!   

Good point, but this is the very essence of any military culture: once you tell a higher rank he's wrong, you might question an order later on, and that can not happen...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk