Author Topic: CSCL Jupiter Container ship of 366 meters in trouble on Westerschelde  (Read 7697 times)

Online Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
Re: CSCL Jupiter Container ship of 366 meters in trouble on Westerschelde
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
At least 16 tugs will attend the re-floating attempt, the largest number I recall during a stranding.

FAIRPLAY III
FAIRPLAY XIV
FAIRPLAY-27
LIEVEN GEVAERT
MULTRATUG 13
MULTRATUG 27
MULTRATUG 30
MULTRATUG 31
SD SALVOR
UNION AMBER
UNION EAGLE
UNION EMERALD
UNION GRIZZLY
UNION HAWK
UNION KODIAK
UNION PANDA

Cheers,
Aleksi

Offline MSC Johnny 2

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Looks like they have done the job. Could have been a major catastrophe !! well done to all concerned

https://felixstowedocker.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/live-re-floating-attempt-cscl-jupiter.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:36:31 PM by MSC Johnny 2 »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
Stan is probably preparing his refloating photos right now (assuming the light was still good enough at 1900hrs).

[later]
As indeed he did.

Interesting that three "outside" tugs have remained with CSCL JUPITER (and at least FAIRPLAY 27 and MULTRATUG 30 actively engaged, with the Antwerp dock tugs) as they berth her in Delwaidedok.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:18:59 PM by davidships »

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
From the look of the Marine Traffic plot she just went straight on at the river bend. Does this indicate yet another power failure at a critical juncture. There is too much of this 'fail safe' rubbish about, that turns everything off when there is an abnormal  (and perhaps erroneous) indication. Also the two anchors are shown hanging down, is that as far as they got, or have they been largely recovered?
Holedriller

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
No idea about whether the anchors were deployed at the time of grounding (probably only the ship, the inquiring authorities and, perhaps, any early-morning dijk-walker would know).  But I think that the position in the photos is a standad readiness position for quick deployment if required - they wouldn't want them in the mud where they could damage the hull if the bow moved, bearing in mind that she was well hooked-up to tugs.  But one of our real mariners will maybe put me right.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »
@ Holdriller and Davidships
As per regs the anchors have to be ready to be dropped at a moments notice. I was once asked what I think of it and said, with bigger ships on a river and straight onto a riverbank I NEVER would drop the anchor. The reason is that when you drop it and it drops in front of the vessel it will be "run over" by the ship and rips holes into the bottom. If it goes much backwards also into center fuel tanks the oel spill is there too, As most ships have anchor chain of 10-12 shots (each shot27.5m) you can calculate where the anchor will be when it is dropped by a vessel like this.
So hanging the anchors like that  is for his incident good,,if now the pilot said no or the Kapt or both,, who knows,,but decision per se was in this case good
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline MSC Johnny 2

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Thanks to everybody for their input and technical advise on this issue.

Its been an education for myself as in being a Docker and not a Seafarer
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:31:47 AM by MSC Johnny 2 »

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
This incident regarding the grounding of the JUPITER happened this month (14 Aug 2017) , so how come photos of this incident are in the Most viewed photos of Last month (Sept 2017).
Can somebody explain? Notwithstanding a series of great photos re this grounding.
I think that the maximum of 4 photos per day per person must be reviewed in such incidents. as such happenings so near to shore gives the photographer more opportunities of capturing great, sometimes memorable photos.
Thanks to everyone supplying these pictures, keep them coming.
regards
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Don't worry, Emmanuel (or Stan), none of the existing pics will be deleted as they are clearly recording an exceptional event (and they are all sufficiently different from each other).  It would be ridiculous to remove them just because they managed to refloat the ship successfully on the same day as she was photographed aground.

For galleries, they don't relate to particular months (even if they are in the future ???), but to periods 24/48hrs, 7/30/180/365 days back from now.  At present Stan's No1 is racing upp the 180-day chart, currently 22nd.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:29:16 PM by davidships »

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:57:54 AM »
Thanks davidships,
that's relief ,I thought that some of these remarkable photos will be deleted and lost forever to us members, a great and worthwhile decision. Hope Administration will adhere to this good decision if another similar occasion occurs, a strong hand on the helm is what needed on such occasions. (no pun intended)
Thank you in the name of lots of spotters on the site.
Keep them coming guys.
Thanks and regards.
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Yesterday I wrote
For galleries, they don't relate to particular months (even if they are in the future Huh), but to periods 24/48hrs, 7/30/180/365 days back from now.  At present Stan's No1 is racing upp the 180-day chart, currently 22nd.
That is correct in relation to the links on the front page.

By chance I came upon the headings given for the same galleries on this page:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/index.php .  Here the some of the headings are indeed misleading and I see what Emmanuel was referring to: "Most popular ship photos last week" and "Most popular ship photos last month".  They should be changed to "Most popular ship photos during the last month", or better "Most popular ship photos during the last 30 days", so that the two appearances are consistent.

We will try to get that modified for clarity and consistency.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk